1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD F/S Wal MKII Five String

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ernval, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ernval

ernval

Mar 10, 2006
    Thinning the collection! Up for sale is a 1990 Wal MKII Five string. Bass recently set up by local luthier James Connell. Plays great, but I am just not a five string player:)

Purchased on TB from Slapinfunk in 5/09. Here's the original thread - no changes from the pictures shown here. :

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545718&highlight=wal

Asking price $3,900 firm. Price includes FEDEX ground shipping to lower 48 United States. If you want it faster, you'll have to pay for it! Payment via Paypal only please.

No international sales or sales to Alaska/Hawaii.

Only trade offers considered would be for a four string Carl Thompson (think Les Claypool's main four).

Couple of more basses for sale also - need to make room for some new additions!

Thanks!

Ernest
    ernval

2. tonequixote

tonequixote Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Maine
    Nice bass. Thanks for not allowing me to buy it .

3. shrigg

shrigg Joy Decision Bassist/BL, AudioKinesis Beta Tester Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    Beautiful! What's the weight?

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    I'm not complaining about your price, but aren't you taking a considerable loss? I know Wals are going back into production, but I thought used models were still going for top dollar.

5. ernval

ernval

Mar 10, 2006
    Hi Thunder Pulse - I know, strange to take a $1k loss, but I need to move the bass ASAP - my wife is on my case for too many basses and I have a Sadowsky NYC Will Lee and a Ritter Cora due to arrive this next week. Plus, I don't play a five string at all, so I want it to go somewhere it will get some use. I have both a Black MK1 and a Red MKII, so my Wal needs are covered with these.

Nothing at all wrong with the bass! Just needed to price it to sell fast!

Thanks!

6. ernval

ernval

Mar 10, 2006
    Get your padded straps out (that came out wrong!):

Weight is 11.2 Lbs according to the bathroom scale.

Again, open for sale, but I am willing to trade for a CT Four string (probably the only one I can get away with and not piss off the wife for not selling this one)

7. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Question time.....

The pictures in the other thread you linked to were good, but would it be possible to get a shot of the control cavity? Speaking of the control cavity, is that the original cover? Not a complaint, but I didn't know if they used plastic covers or matching wood.

On a scale of 1-10, what condition would you say the bass is in?

For lack of a better description, the nut looks kind of dirty. Is there any issue with it? Any idea what material it's made of?

How much fret wear is there? Do Wals have the same type of frets that you find in most other basses, or do they use stainless steel?

Do you need any any Wal-specific tools to make adjustments on it, and if so, does it come with them?

Sorry for all the questions, but the other thread didn't have much discussion before it sold.

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I can answer a few of those...

The nut is made of brass, and it's slightly tarnished which is why it looks dirty. Earlier Wal 5's came with brass nuts.

Wals have regular frets. I can't think of very many makers (Parker?) that normally use stainless steel frets--I don't even think stainless steel fretwire was available in 1990.

This looks like a beautiful example of a Mk II 5-string, and the ebony fretboard (not standard on fretted Wals) is a nice plus that I like a lot--the best sounding of my Wals have had ebony boards.

9. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    bump, I was watching Jethro Tull on directv freeview last night and his bass player has a bass that looks pretty much exactly like this.

10. ernval

ernval

Mar 10, 2006
    Potential trade in the works...I'll do my best to post pics of the control cavity tonight.

Thanks!

Ernest

11. ernval

ernval

Mar 10, 2006
    As requested, here are pictures of the control cavity. If I'm correct, this one was finished by Pete the Fish in Feb '90.

For condition, I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 (and I'm being picky here).

Thanks!

Ernest wal #6.

wal #7.

12. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    Which era Tull was the concert from? I'm curious which bassist it was. Ballpark the time frame possibly? (I'm guessing Jeffrey Hammond :confused:) Thanks.

13. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    man I have no clue, looking at his site it was either this noyce guy or Pegg guy. I'm thinking it looked more like noyce.

14. MDFreeze

MDFreeze

Jan 27, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    PM'd

15. jsixties

jsixties

Jan 30, 2007
    Spain
    I have the 3336 serial number (two more than this one) with the same configuration and woods as yours and it's the best bass I've ever played in every way.
    Have a bump on me and best luck with the sale/trade.

16. ernval

ernval

Mar 10, 2006
    Thanks for all the interest! Here's the status:

- still on the market.
    - Price is still $3,900 shipped, but I'll open it up to Alaska/Hawaii.
    - Please, no international inquiries
    - Other trades I'd consider - F Bass, specifically a BN4

Thanks!

Ernest

17. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    PM'd!

18. ernval

ernval

Mar 10, 2006