F string options (7 string)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gorgula, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Any of you 7+ string guys know of any options for a high F string?

I am currently using a Dean Markley stainless roundwound .022. This string is just too bright in relation to my B-C strings which are D'addario nickel rounds.

I'd like to stay close to the same diameter (maybe a hair larger) but try something like a flat/half-flat wound nickel string to get it a little "mellower".

I've tried using flatwound guitar strings from GHS and Thomastik but they are all too short for my 35" scale. I can't even get one winding around the post and they pop out.

Any ideas?
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Nickel F strings seem to be pretty tough to find. For some reason, there are a lot more options in stainless. Anyway, GHS makes a .20 Boomer that balances well. I get mine here:

I've been using the standard Roscoe set for a while now, which I believe are D'Addario nickels with a Dean Markley f, and I haven't had any balancing issues. The only issues I've ever had, was when I tried using unwound F strings.

If you wanna deaden your current F string though, try rubbing some cooking oil, butter, crisco onto it. That should deaden it right up. Just make sure you clean it before you put it back on your bass! :p I would try the Boomer F string first, though.