Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F# String Questions.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by PaulSimonon, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Hey all, I'm wondering how floppy a low F# string is (compared to say, a B on a 34" scale), and what scales you guys have used for it. I don't believe that I have any personal access to ERB's with F#'s, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

Also, what are you using in the necks to counteract the tension of the F#?

I'd assume that it would put tremendous tension on the neck, and the neck joint, so how are you putting the necks on?

Thanks for all of the help,
    Andrew

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I can't guage the floppyness of the low F# since the only one I've ever touched was on Stew's Conklin 10. But IIRC it was standard 34" scale, and if I understand it correctly, the low F# should not be exerting any more force on the neck than any other string, provided it is the proper guage for your needs. It would only exert too a lot of force if it were too large a guage, and in that case would be very tight, solving your floppyness problem (but probably causing other issues). If it were too small a guage, then it would be floppy, and it's tension would therefore be insignificant. Of course there *IS* significantly more tension on the neck if you have an extreeme ERB like Stew's 10 (or really anything 6+) as a sum of all the string tensions is cumulative. I would think that the basics of quality neck woods, chosen for their positive neck properties, allong with Truss Rod(s) and graphite re-inforcement would be called for (and many people feel that neck construction is more critical than scale length when it comes to string tension "Feel") and if it were a bolt on neck, consider increasing the number of and area covered by the neck bolts allong with the t-nut use that many of the guys here recommend.

3. Thanks for your insights man!

4. The F# is going to be the lowest tension string on the neck. The higher pitched strings will have considerably higher tension.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, think B vs. E, and you'll be close enough.

34" is OK, if the neck construction is OK. And not to forget: the string anchorages! Winding a thick wire around a pole is more difficult than a thin, and at the other end, there has to be enough material in the anchorage.

6 string or less need one truss rod, generally. More than 6, also generally, should have two truss rods. Otherwise, it will be hard to counteract the twist due to the stronger tension in the thinner strings in a wide and thin plank (neck).