Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

F string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bijoux, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Hy guys, I have a couple of 7 string basses and a finally ran out of strings. well I am looking for F strings, I used Ken Smith strings in the past just because I got a bunch of sets when I ordered my basses but I never liked the F unwrapped string, I was wondering if anyone had experience with maybe guitar strings, maybe a G or D string tuned to F, also my basses have a 35" scale, any tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
  3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    You can get isolated SIT F strings or full packs, and Snakeskins (Dean Markley) from Conklin Guitars

4. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    You have very little options (as do I as a matter of fact...) for that wound high F. There's Rittter if you're ready to spend $72 + shipping for a set of strings (I'm not for the moment...). There's Ken Smith's NPS serie with .020, it's a bit thin but it works. There's Labella with a .024 or .026. They actually make sets for 7 strings with those gauges. I've found them to be inconsistent from string to string... Dean Markley offer a set for the 7 string bass with a .022 as the high F, might work for you. The rest of the set seems a bit of balance to me, but it might work for you. This string only seems to be available from Conklin, otherwise you have to buy the entire set.

There's also D'Addario with the NWB024. It's important get this string and not the usual NW024, the first one is much longer even if it as a guitar ball end. According to there rep, it's 48 inch long instead of the usual 39.5 inch. I've tried the NW022 with some luck, the feel and tone were really good, but the string is a barely long enough and it can slip on the tuning peg. This is might next set XL165-6 + NWB024, should work quite nicely.

hope this helps
    PL

5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Thanks guys, That was very helpful.

6. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    tell us how it goes with your next set, it's always good to have someone else’s opinion.

take care
    PL

7. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I got my strings in the mail today. I ordered sigle strings from Juststrings.com, I acctually had problems with them before so I was reluctant to order again. anyway I ordered La Bella and Juststrings.com make their own strings so I tried those too. I ordered 020 to 026 and I ended up liking the 025 and 026, they seem to be more even with the set, I have Ken Smith medium gage on, I got a bunch of basses I may end up ordering from webstrings.com the six string sets and getting the F string from juststrings.com, anyway I am very happy right now, thanks guys. ;)