F# string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Aug 1, 2005.

1. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    My band tunes to Drop-B (B, F#, B, E). I was thinking of trying to get a low F# string, kind of like having a 5-string in a band that tunes to E.

I was thinking of using D'addario half rounds (.130) because of their high tension and pseudo-roundwound sound.

If anybody has experience with this or has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've tried F# B F# B E.

Are you using a 35" scale bass? If not, a .130 is barely enough for a low B IMO. I use a .135 on my low B, and it feels great. Check out www.conklinguitars.com and search around the Strings section. They sell a .165 (I think) F# and even a .195 I believe. That'll give you a nice tight F#. I've not used them, I always tried dropping my fiver (strung BBEAD) in F#/B and the low F# was always a flopfest.

The tighter that F# is, the better it'll sound.
  3. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I have a 34" scale Thumb. I have used .095 halfrounds and gotten a very tight B string. They were actually tighter than the .125 roundwounds I have on there now.
  4. A .165 is not needed, Especially a .195 either. I think since you tune to B F# B E, You only need a .50-.110, I used to have my thunder bird strung like that, Set it up to it, And there was no flopiness, Not enough for me to notice.
  5. The best size depends on your other string gauges.

A .100 will make a pretty floppy F# and require high action, but it will be playable with the right setup.

A .130 will be a pretty good string for it, but it will be floppier than strings normally are. Perfectly playable though. If you use a .100 for the B, a .80 for the E, and so on (.65, .45) your tension will be balanced.

If you want to use more standard tensions then you'll probably want that .165 for your F#.
  6. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Download the tension chart on the DA website and figure what tensions you prefer from a normal set of strings and look for the gauges that get you in the ball park for your tuning (typically 40 to 50 lb per string in pitch). Then go to place like just strings and buy singles.

Sorry for yelling, But he clearly stated that He tunes to B F# B E, Which is Drop C tuning (CGCF) half a step down. He doesnt need a .165 for a F#, Because the F hes using in higher than the low B on a 5 string bass. Thats why I said what I did before. But if you want the extra tension with out much set up, Buy a 5 string set with a .45-.130, Or a .40-.125. Get rid of the G string, And use the other 4 to string your Thumb to that tuning. Or you could go and buy those Labella drop tune series strings which I think the heaviest guage on a 4 banger set is a .55-.115 for Labella. Hope this helps.