1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD F/T feeler - Tele Bass (lot's o mods)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jimmy rocket, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    This bass has been my main player for the past 5 months or so, but has recently been one-upped for my current gig by my new Darkstar P bass. Anyway, I'm on the fence about this one, because it is far better than average, and it's got a cool vibe, but I've been looking for a '51-'54 style single coil P, so I thought I'd throw this up here to see what's out there.

4209393960_14ec9268ce_o.

Full disclaimer - This bass began life as a Squier VM Tele Bass, and I believe the body / neck / and pickguard all to be original. Most of the cosmetic work was done before I got it.

The neck has had the decal replaced (AFAIK) and a coat of tinted nitro lacquer. The back has been sanded down to a smooth "road worn" feel to give it a relic vibe. The tuners have been replaced with hipshot lollipops, but I can ship it w/ Schaller Clover leaf tuners if you want.
    Couple of dings here and there around the headstock, but they fit the vibe.

4537657547_ecdf04ff01.
    4537657257_5dd76c01f2.

But the upgrades continue! It also has a Badass bridge w/ ashtray, tugbar, new knobs, and I installed a series/parallel switch so you get the classic mudbucker sound, or a more open P-like sound.

There's a waterslide decal on the back of Alexis Bledel in a rosie the riveter shot, which is totally removable w/nail polish remover or alcohol. Looks cool though.

4537656759_e7a02a8244_o.

This thing is a freakin' workhorse. And, as you can tell, has been significantly upgraded. I'm not really convinced I need to get rid of it, but I am curious to see what's out there. (For a straight trade, everyone pays their own shipping, and we ship via the same carrier.)

Trades I'm looking for:

A single-coil style P bass (51-54ish) preferably in blonde / black or white.

Relic P-bass in sonic blue/coral/fiesta red

world peace
    ALSO NOW F/S $425 shipped conus

2. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Any idea what it weighs?

3. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I can try it on the bathroom scale tonight, but it's about average P bass weight. Lighter than my G&L and heavier than my Jazz.

4. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I'll throw a trade offer out of left field --> I have a Danelectro Hodad (34" long scale) in black sparkle in absolutely mint condition. Strung with D'addario chrome flats. Any interest in trading?

5. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Sorry, not interested in the Dano, but I am willing to hear other offers.

As far as weight goes I'd estimate it at 9 lbs with the Badass. I'll get a real weight this evening.

6. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Alright, bathroom scale says 9.2 lbs.

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    morning bump, and as you string savvy folks can probably tell from the pic, she ships with a perfect set of chromes.

8. ...drool, drool, drool...

9. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    she is a hot little number, and maybe today is her day!

Also considering trades involving Lakland skylines and G&L (indonesian) tribbys

here's a close-up of the decal

4488098962_5ab6a110b2.

10. any thoughts on a straight out sale? price? good looking bass.

11. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
  12. When I said in my profile GAS list that I want a Tele, this is what I had mentally pictured. Good luck on this!

13. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I know, the longer it sits here the closer I am to shutting this thread down ;)

14. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    "get some love before the weekend" bump.

15. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    would you ever consider just selling it?

16. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    I was the previous owner of this bass. Most of the upgrades/mods were done by Scott Jackson of New Orleans Guitars (he's also a killin' bassist) and are top-notch. Seriously a cool axe, records great-sits right smack in the middle of the track w/ a thick earthy tone.

17. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Thanks Willy, all true!

I'm leaning toward pulling this one back into the stable for now, but might be talked into selling it. PM me if you're serious about that Gord_oh.

18. Keep it...the GAS is killing me! Question, tho - the ashtray came with the bridge?

19. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    no, the ashtray and bridge are separate. There's a Badass bridge underneath.

FWIW I'll consider selling this flat out for $425 shipped ConUS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.