1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

F/T: My Jazz neck for your's

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Warpeg, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I have a brand new MIA Fender Jazz Bass neck, rosewood fingerboard. It's absolutely flawless and has had only one full hour of play on it. I would really like a MIA Fender Jazz neck, maple fingerboard instead. Everyone keeps telling me that rosewood is the best, yadda, yadda...I want to stick with maple. As long as the neck is playable, I'm interested. If it has some wear, it doesn't matter. I know that I'm getting the bad end of the deal, but I like maple!:)

2. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    +1 on the maple

3. I have a maple board on mine and wouldn't trade....good luck

4. that was nice :eyebrow:

5. didn't mean not to be nice....just stating my preferance for a maple board, and wishing him luck on finding someone willing to trade

6. yeah I know. free bump

7. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I had a question about what series of American Fender neck this is. It is from an American Series, also called American "Standard." The bass typically goes for around $1100 new. I was going to post pics of the neck, but see no need as the neck is brand new; just check one out at Fender's website.

8. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    how about a slightly worn fretless MIM neck? i kid i kid. gl with the trade.

9. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Perhaps this is the wrong forum for this reply, but I would also be willing to trade the entire bass (MIA Jazz, sunburst, rosewood fingerboard, white pickguard, original molded case, all brand new) for a MIA jazz with a maple fingerboard.:)

10. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    bump. I think that a listing like this can take some time to find someone to trade with--I'll be bumping this one until someone comes along. :)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a neck off a '93 P-bass Deluxe Plus. I named it "moebius." It'd make a very effective club for security.

12. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Fat necks are cool. If it's American made, maple fingerboard, and has a 4-screw standard Fender mounting area, then I might be interested.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You missed the point. It's not fat, it's twisted like a Moebius strip.

[​IMG]

14. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Hey -- I have a Rondo maple/maple neck on a project bass of my own. It gets the job done, but I have no doubt that I love MIA jazz necks above all else. You can see it here on my bass:

http://www.harrisonfamily.org/bass/photogallery.php?gallery=hammerstein&page=1&picsperpage=31

The ones near the end are of the project when it was more or less done (never found a real rear cover, and haven't gotten gold hardware everywhere yet).

Neck is in excellent shape and has very little playing time. The nut, however, needs to be replaced -- because the one on there isn't the correct width (you can kinda see that it's not the full width of the neck). But you can see that the string spacing works (for now)...I just haven't gotten around to getting a proper nut in there -- you can get a custom made one reasonably, or buy a precut one for cheap...not a big challenge there.

Feel-wise, it's a slim neck, and plays very nice. I've used it for about 8 hours of full rehearsals, and a few hours of playing at home. I like it, but ultimately want to get an MIA jazz neck. And while I love the maple, I am plenty happy with rosewood.

Anyway, it's not even in the ballpark valuewise with an MIA neck, so I'm mostly asking if this would be suitable as a starting point -- you get a useable maple neck until you can find the perfect neck. And I'd try to come up with more items or cash to round out a deal.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

ltt

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Any interest in an MIM P-Special (J width) maple neck? The frets have been hand polished by me - they look and feel great.

16. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Sounds like a nice neck, but I'm still holding out for a maple MIA Fender neck. Still available! Perfect shape ***new***!

17. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    bump. Still here, still available, still like new. :)

18. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Just wanted to throw out there that, based on everything I've seen (eBay, classifieds, TB), maple necks carry a higher value than the equivalent rosewood necks. That might be a bit of a hurdle for the deal you're looking for.

On the plus side in favor of your offer is that you are not stipulating that the condition (of the maple neck) must be on par with the condition of the neck you have.

You might want to sweeten your end of the offer.

Cheers!

ltt

19. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I've always understood the maple vs. rosewood battle to be 100% preference. Most basses (eg. Fender, MusicMan, G&L, etc) that give a rosewood/maple option charge no extra for getting one wood over the other. Though the most sold, requested, and sought after fingerboard material (according to NAMM, 2005) is Rosewood, I'm still a sucker for maple.:bassist:

Still available everyone!

20. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    This maybe of interest to you or may not.

I just got an SX bass from Hambone with a rosewood neck. He applied TruOil coating to it and man it really makes the rosewood more attractive and just feels better. It feels like those new-ish Yamaha necks. Very nice.

I am not making any offers here. Just thought this might interest you.