1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

F# tuning please guide me

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ibanez6string, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Ibanez6string

Ibanez6string

Apr 9, 2010
    i know this may sound crazy to a lot of people, but i have a few basses that i keep in different tunings. i have an amazing guitarist who is about to purchase an 8 string esp guitar. so i had 2 thoughts. buy a conklin 7 string bass or get a nice 5 string bass and set it up as if it were a 7 missing some strings. so the tuning would be F#,B,E,A,D. does any one have any tips or ideas on how to go about doing this easily or at all? i know i would have to get thicker gauges strings for the occasion, and adjust the tension/truss rod. but what else?

2. Hi.

A search will get You a lot of information ;).

There's several theads about set-up, amplification requirements etc. about F# tuning.

In short, it's easily done as F# strings are becoming easier and easier to find, but a lot depends on how "loud" You want to be.

Oh, and welcome to TalkBass.

Regards
    Sam

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Take the strings and the bass in to a tech and have the bass set up for it. Simple. You will need to have the nut worked on.