F500 amp hiss...is this normal or too much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DLM, Feb 26, 2010.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    This amp makes more hiss than my LMII.

I've attached a sound file placing my Tascam recorder about one foot from the speaker. The file is of me turning on the amp and playing a note. Do you F1/F500 users notice the same degree of hiss on your amp?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    not normal but isn't necessarily broken. what are your amp settings and what cab?

3. Both my F1 and F500 have a VERY low level of background his that can barely be heard. I have no idea where you mic was set or the volume you were playing, so you clip isn't very helpful.

The key is that the hiss should be very soft, and (this is key) will not increase with the master volume... so you literally shouldn't be able to hear it at even very low volume levels.

I find the noise floor of the F1 about the same as most amps, and much quieter than many. Of course, if you put a mic up close to the tweeter and play very softly, you would be able to hear it.

If you click on the website listed in my profile, I have many live solo recordings of my F1 and F500, and they are quiet as a mouse.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I certainly don't get that much hiss from mine, although as Jimmy says it depends on your eq settings. I usually have the VLE at 25% / 9 o' clock and no high end boost.

5. OT for a second.
    Ken; Do you have any clips that would compare the F1/F500 to the LMTube 800?
    I bought that 800 last week but the GC guy said he would order an F series if I wanted.

6. Sorry.. the LMTube800 did not stay around long enough for clips, and I didn't have my recorder at the time I owned the SD800 (which sounds virtually identical to the LMT800 IMO).

Remember that the F1 and F500 sound literally identical when set flat, so if you can try either the F1 or the F500, you would know if that voicing was 'right' or not for your tone goals.

7. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Jimmy, amp settings were: filters off, EQ flat, gain at 2 o'clock and master volume at 8 o'clock (assuming off is 7 o'clock). So the volume settings were very low and the bass settings were EQ flat with volume all the way up. Cab is Epi UL-112.

KJung, unless I misunderstand your comment, I'm not sure how the recorder mic settings would matter since hearing the click of the amp being powered on and playing a note would proportionalize everything in relation to the hiss. Also, I DO hear more hiss the more I turn up the master volume. I thought this would be expected but you're saying it's not?

At any rate, I'm concerned with the amount of baseline hiss I'm hearing...

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i had the same problem w/ an F1 i was trying... send it back, cause seems like most havent had the same experiences?

9. If you hear more hiss as you turn up, then it is either something else in the signal chain, or you have an amp with a problem. The noise level of my F1 and F500 is very soft, and can only really be heard if you are not playing and you really listen with your ear a bit close to the tweeter. It does not increase with the master volume.

My mic comment was basically that if you stick a mic very close to the tweeter, it will record any upper frequency noise at a much higher level than you would hear it just standing in front of the cab.

10. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I think I might have a problem, because even without any instrument plugged in, I hear increased hiss with increased master volume.

11. Time for a swap for a new one then. There is a slight increased amoung of fixed, low volume hiss with the F1/F500 versus the LMII, but it is very subtle, and once you start playing over a 'whisper' level, it totally disappears. That being said, if you close-mic a cab in the studio at low volumes, it could be a problem.

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just chiming in: No hiss at all on my F1.

13. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    My amp is fine.

I went into the local GC and compared my amp with what they had on the floor: LMIII, F1, SD800. The hiss levels of the LMIII and F1 were similar to mine, with the SD800 having even more hiss. This comparison was done without any instrument plugged in in order to rule out any noise coming from the signal chain.

Interestingly enough, all amps had increased hiss with increased master volume.

Thanks to everyone who generously chimed in here...

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021