1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

F500 or Shuttle Max

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iron Rose, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Iron Rose

Iron Rose Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    NW Ohio
    Looking to change things up.
    Now using an LMIII with an Epi UL310 2(early)
    G&L L2500, rock/R&B/blues
    Really like the big bottom now,but might be nice to tighten it up some.

2. suraci

suraci

Apr 11, 2005
    Can't add a lot but I have a huge low end cab. And the MB F1 was tightest in the low end of that fat bottom cab

The other amp that matched well with that cab was a lowly Shuttle 6- it was to opposite worlds ( fat cab meets thinly voiced amp ) finding a harmony. I am trying a LM 2 as we speak. I may go back to to MB F1 or it's more sophisticated ( eq wise ) F500
    And I am curious to try Shuttle 6 again. Note among the few GB I tried only the Shuttle 6 was thin enough to compliment my deeply ported cab.

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    F500

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Own them and love them both. I've done a zillion gigs with the EpiUL cabs and the F1/F500, and just got a Shuttle Max 9.2.

The beauty of the F500 is the feature set per inch (that little thing is packed), and the absolutely beautiful 'out of the box' tone. A bit of low mid boost at 200hz or so, and it sounds very nice with the 310UL to me.

On the other hand, the Genz Max 9.2 is a hammer... significantly more 'heft'. Of course, it is four times the size (although surprisingly about the same weight). The Max 9.2 has less low end and MUCH more upper mid brightness than the F500 set 'neutral' right out of the box. However, here is a clip I did showing how you can get the FET channel to sound quite close to the 'neutral' F500 sound with a bit of EQ (that I describe in the clip).

Both are great. If you don't need to hammer, the F500 is hard to beat. If you want your 310UL to be able to do 410UL size gigs, that extra power is great (and the two preamps and massive EQ power is addicting).

Here is the clip:

Genz Benz Shuttle Max 9.2 vs. Markbass F500 with Bergantino AE410 - YouTube

Note: The AE410 is much tighter, punchier and brighter than the much smoother 310UL, so keep that in mind when you listen to the clip.

5. Iron Rose

Nov 2, 2006
    NW Ohio
    How does the 6.2 compare to the LMIII?

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Gigged an LMII for a couple of years, and recently spent time with the 6.2. However, was not able to directly compare.

However, my impression is that the 6.2 remains 'tighter and brighter' than the LMII, and is a bit closer to the F1/F50 0 than the very smooth, very fat, very warm-but-clean LMII. I would think the absolute volume would be similar.

The advantage of the 6.2 vs. the LMII are the ability to drive that tube pre a bit to grit it up, again, a 'brighter/tighter' tone if that is your thing, and of course, the amazing Genz service.

Of course, the warm, clean, fat tone of the LMIII/III is fantastic also. All good stuff.

7. Iron Rose

Nov 2, 2006
    NW Ohio
    I guess maybe that's what I am searching for.
    Would like to add some grit, but don't want to give up the the warm, clean, fat tone of the LMIII.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The VT pedal is your friend of that is your main issue

9. Iron Rose

Nov 2, 2006
    NW Ohio
    Will it not muddy things up?

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

No. It will do that Ampeg type warmth and/or overdrive and you can bypass when you want the pure LM tone

11. Iron Rose

Nov 2, 2006
    NW Ohio
    Thanks.
    I'll take a look at it

12. suraci

suraci

Apr 11, 2005
    KJung aka Ken Happy New Year dude!

I bought the VK pedal but without a mid control I had to return it.
    Do you recommend the +$250 model with a mid control?
    I guess it is NOT an eq per se, right?
    Still, I think a mid knob ( what is the freq of the mid please ?)
    makes owning it a possibility.
    I sent you an email btw!

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The VT pedal is more of a distortion unit than an EQ pedal. If you have issues with the midrange response of your rig, neither version of the VT would really be the tool to use. However, in the case of the OP, if you love the clean, warm, tone of the LMII or III, but on occasion, want a more grindy, Ampeg-like tone, the VT pedal is GREAT, and many TBers use that combination with success.

For me, the primary issue with the 'simple' versus 'deluxe' version is if you want a DI with the unit (of course, any impact of the VT pedal between your bass and amp would come through your amp's DI) and if you wanted the added functionality of multiple storable presets to change tone 'on the fly'.

Edit" Bounced you back regarding your email!

14. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Ken, out of curiosity, which of these amps behaves most gracefully as it reaches max power, as when driving a relatively insensitive ("low SPL") cabinet at high levels?

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Apples and oranges, since the Genz has more power. However, the Genz power management is more sophisticated on general.