Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FA: Private lesson w/Carol Kaye!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dude, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    For Rocco Prestia's Medical Trust...one hour to go for a good cause folks!

Click Here to Bid!

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Didn't Carol Kaye actually write the bassline to "What is Hip?"

;)

3. now be nice, jazzbo... :p

really though, carol kaye kicks my ass. i envy whoever wins that lesson.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Actually, Carol not only wrote every post in this thread, she created the operating system that the TalkBass server runs on! As she was telling my wife, Morgan Fairchild, the other day.......

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Whether or not some of you like her (I don't), she's actually trying to do some good for once, so let's be nice. Just don't show her anything you've written! ;)

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I was wondering if I won the auction whether or not she'd be coming to NYC to gimme-a-lesson, hmmm, I guess I should read the terms of the auction. :D

Carol does have some good information on her website, her tips section has some good nuggets of information.

PS: Didn't she design the solar system too? :D

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Not only did Carol Kaye design the solar system, but she created God. In only 3 days.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I smell "self-promotion" feeding like a predator off of a fine bassist's misfortune.

It's most cool that Steve "the Dude" is doing this. I respect "the Dude" and A. Garcia greatly for their efforts. It's too bad that the most uncool liar in bass history is trying to use the situation for her own purposes.

I think jazzbo's comment is extremely insightful -
    "Didn't she write `What is Hip?" "

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Carol Kaye invented liver disease among bassists! :rolleyes:

All I see is a vulture with mediocre talent circling :rolleyes:

At least she knows not to come around Talkbass where she won't become more embarrassed.

9. Whether or not she has some sort of ulterior motives-- and I don't think she does-- she's doing something good for someone who needs the help.

Calling her a liar is also out of line. I know there's some controversies that she's been a part of but I don't think for a minute that she doesn't honestly believe that she played on certain tracks that she may or may not have played on. I personally don't think she did.

Anyone who also calls her a mediocre bass player is probably a bit ignorant as well. Sure there are some bass tracks she claims she's played on that most people agree she probably hasn't but, that aside, she's also played on a lot of songs and still has an amazing track record that most, if not all, bass players would envy.

I just hope that all of you who are dropping these little comments on someone who's actually trying to help Rocco have also made a donation to his fund.:rolleyes:

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If music, or any art, is devoid of "truth" then it is a whore.

If one chooses to be a "john" then that is one's choice.

I cannot deny she created another component of art - "beauty." "Love" takes several forms and has several motives. Anna Nicole Smith comes to mind.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    So then, you're saying she's just stupid? She honestly believes she played on them, everyone else thinks she doesn't, but she can't listen to it for herself and tell if that's her playing or not. Okay, so she's either lying or she's a moron.

Do I have to be nice because I'm a mod, cause I'd like to tell you where to shove it. So, I'm allowed to say something if I donate money, that makes it okay? If I don't donate, I have to keep quiet? Where do you get off? DO NOT attempt to assume my moral code.

12. Yeah, maybe Rocco should find a bass player who isn't quite the "john" that Carol Kaye is to help him out.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Some of you idiots need to get a friggin clue.

Look MORONS...I contacted Carol and asked her if she's do this for Rocco. She agreed as did Stu Hamm. I don't see any of you bagging on Stu Hamm for doing this for self promotion. I can't believe how downright cynical and totally ignorant some of you are.

As of this morning Rocco's back in a coma and on life support in ICU and my auction for the lesson with Carol brought in $255 for the trust so until any of you naysayers match that in the way of a donation yourselves you're only making yourselves look like idiots for spewing this garbage.

Have any of you who are bagging on her sent in one red cent yet????

Put up or shut up!

[​IMG]

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You guys might want to start using names when you're addressing people. Otherwise, I'll think you called me a moron. And I KNOW you didn't call me a moron for making a joke. I know you didn't do that. But, you did say morons, so you're not just talking about one person.

Either way, I'm done with this. Donating money or donating money is nobody's business but my own, and whether or not I do it or don't should not be assumed for any reason. It's funny how beligerent people become in the name of "good." I've seen this too many times.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Man. It was a joke. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I fully agree with Dude,put up or shut up.and before any of you take this the wrong way this is not the time to be trippin over something most of you know anything about.Carole Kaye is a good friend of mine and apart from being a Bass Genius(yes a Genius) and one of the instruments best,save the comments for another time,this is Roccos time in the most serious moment of need.we are entitled to our opinions but lets at least base some of them on facts.I am thru with .its time to get back to the Thread title.
    JAUQO III-X

18. Well that part where you said, "Do I have to be nice because I'm a mod, cause I'd like to tell you where to shove it," was certainly hilarious.;) I'm still trying to stifle the laughter.

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Wow, joking or not, some of these comments come off as sounding just plain mean. I am disappointed in some of you. I also believe that this is not the place to be ripping on CK. This is about Rocco.

20. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Most of what was written as far as I can see about Carol including my comment was just a joke that a couple of people piled up on. I have tremendous respect for her and all of the help she provides people for free, despite the credit controversies that are swirling around.

I appreciate your sentiment Dude, but I think a lot of the power writing your doing is directed at the wrong group of people. It would seem to me that the recording industry, i.e. record labels, etc, etc, should be the ones doing a whole lot, because they have a whole lot. I think what you're doing is noble though it smells of a crusade to me, don't know why it just does. I might also add that you're not in a position to tell any one to "Put up or shut up!", because they're not obligated to do anything, they don't owe anybody anything, and anything they do do, be it buy a CD, offer services in exchange for cash for cause is way above and beyond the call of duty.