FAAS: Fat Ass Acoustic Sound Pickup System

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aaron, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I was thinking of getting one of these for my j-bass or p-bass. If i put one on a jazz, is it possible to have a volume control for each of the three pickups with the system with only using a stacked pot and solder, so all the signal (from the magnetic pickups and FAAS) goes out the jack on the control plate?? Also, I have a SansAmp Bass DI. Would i need the separate onboard preamp?
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Here's the system in toto...

You'd need to make some room for the PCB and battery. I think
    Hambone or Bob Gollihur installed one in a bass they built. You
    could PM or email them for more info.
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    That's the old system; FAAS has updated their stuff, and I'm about to update my web page for the FAAS piezo saddles and preamps.

The piezo saddles now come with small plastic plugs that mate to pins on the preamp. The "Tour Kit" above is no longer available, and the preamp comes with a 9v battery plug and holder, and an output jack. You can also use that jack for stereo output- if you plug in a mono plug, the preamp senses it and sends the mixed mag and piezo signal to the output; if you plug in a stereo jack it routes them separately to the stereo cable. I played the system installed on a Precision bass at NAMM, and have one of the originals on my FrankenWarmoth. They still sound the same.

You do need an onboard preamp to provide the proper load to the piezo saddles, which BTW, are now available in full 3/4 and a narrow spacing. I have two 5 string sets in stock, too, one 3/4 and one narrow.
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    So the blending of the mag. pickups and piezo saddles would have to be on an outboard mixer(blender)?

Bob, why are your prices so low? Stewart-Macdonald has the the saddles for $99.95, and the preamp for $81.95. That's $182 for both, when your price is $120. I probably shouldn't say this, but have you thought of raising your prices?