Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fabulous Baker Boys

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by JTGale, May 30, 2005.

1. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    We have a columnist at work who has been hard at it for the past 61 years. It is always a bright spot in my day to stop in and chat with him about music and the "old days." He loves jazz and used to play the trumpet. So, the conversation usually drifts toward horn jazz, but that is OK. Any respite from the daily grind to talk about jazz is better than just sitting in front of a box, editing copy.

To point: He came out to my desk on Friday and said, "If you are interested, I have the soundtrack from the Fabulous Baker Boys on in my office. It sounds great!" So, I drifted in and found myself listening intently as somebody played a killer-fast double bass solo. I noticed the CD was on track 5 before I left his office. According to Amazon, track 5 is called "Shop till you bop." But I can't seem to find who the player was. I think, after a little digging, that it was Brian Bromberg, but I am not sure. Does anybody have any ideas? The solo was technically precise, fast and clean. Maybe a little too busy for my tastes, but certainly a worthly listen for the prowess of the player.

Any and all help with identifying this player is great appreciated. Dig deep!

~jtg

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

It was Bromberg. I keep forgetting that because it's hard to get the image of Michelle P. out of my mind when anyone mentions that movie, but it was Bromberg. The soundtrack is actually pretty good - Ernie Watts is on it, too.

3. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Although I didn't see the entire movie, I do seem to remember seeing part of it with her in a red dress, laying on a piano? Just the image this conjures is yummy ... but I digress ... back to topic ... mmmmmmmmmmmm ...