Fabulous story of a successful indie label run from the family garage !

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SMASH, Nov 11, 2003.

1. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000

A couple of cool excerpts :

Nine smelly guys pile out of the van. Park's mom, Sonia, runs around getting blankets and extra pillows. Shin--a retired laboratory supervisor at San Jose Hospital--rearranges furniture to accommodate the guests and cordially introduces himself to a dreadlocked guy named Hashbrown. Mike greets everyone and gleefully points out the refrigerator and guest bathroom.

To the Blue Meanies, the hospitality and clean digs are a gold mine. To the Park family, having nine musicians camped out in the living room is the most normal thing in the world. It's part of running a successful independent label. It's just good business.

Pezcore scored big. An A&R suit from Capitol Records bought the CD at a show and followed the band around the country. Less Than Jake eventually signed with Capitol, and the label offered Park $100,000 to buy Pezcore outright.

Park declined. He has since sold 60,000 copies of the album by himself. With a 50/50 split, Asian Man paid off the production costs and still earned more than $100,000. And the album is still selling.
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    GREAT article! I know that I have contributed to Park's bank account, owning every Skankin Pickle release, and at least half the Asian Man catalog. I had no idea he was responsible for the Ska Against Racism tours. This should be a case-study for all those wanting to go the DIY route.
  3. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    I've been in contact with Mike Park for a while, in one way or another. Started as a fan of him while he was in Skankin' Pickle, and turned into someone I did business with.

For those curious, Mike Park was also in The Bruce Lee Band, and The Chinkees.