1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fabulous story of a successful indie label run from the family garage !

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SMASH, Nov 11, 2003.

1. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/01.15.98/records1-9802.html

A couple of cool excerpts :

Nine smelly guys pile out of the van. Park's mom, Sonia, runs around getting blankets and extra pillows. Shin--a retired laboratory supervisor at San Jose Hospital--rearranges furniture to accommodate the guests and cordially introduces himself to a dreadlocked guy named Hashbrown. Mike greets everyone and gleefully points out the refrigerator and guest bathroom.

To the Blue Meanies, the hospitality and clean digs are a gold mine. To the Park family, having nine musicians camped out in the living room is the most normal thing in the world. It's part of running a successful independent label. It's just good business.

================

Pezcore scored big. An A&R suit from Capitol Records bought the CD at a show and followed the band around the country. Less Than Jake eventually signed with Capitol, and the label offered Park $100,000 to buy Pezcore outright.

Park declined. He has since sold 60,000 copies of the album by himself. With a 50/50 split, Asian Man paid off the production costs and still earned more than $100,000. And the album is still selling.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    GREAT article! I know that I have contributed to Park's bank account, owning every Skankin Pickle release, and at least half the Asian Man catalog. I had no idea he was responsible for the Ska Against Racism tours. This should be a case-study for all those wanting to go the DIY route.

3. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    I've been in contact with Mike Park for a while, in one way or another. Started as a fan of him while he was in Skankin' Pickle, and turned into someone I did business with.

For those curious, Mike Park was also in The Bruce Lee Band, and The Chinkees.