1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Face Dots/Markers... Are they really necessary?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 15, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I going to put together a warmoth or usacg neck. I'm seriously considering leaving off the face dots.

I noticed a few higher-end basses omit them.

I'm pretty much a hack in terms of technique so maybe I need them?

2. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I have face dots on my Warmoth birdseye maple neck, but I also had Sims put gold side dots in. I could do without the face dots as long as I had the LEDs, but I think I'd struggle to see black side dots in a dark venue.

3. Nah, you don`t need `em... Even if you are as you say `a hack`...
    So am I, but I can still do basic math:D ....you know 3, 5, 7, 9.....
    hahaha, all kidding aside, necks without dots is a beautiful thing. I wish I could get rid of the ones on my piece of **** squier jazz.
    :bassist:

4. They are just markers to help you find your place, or things used for style. If you don't want them, don't get them. I rarely look at my hands as I play, but I like the look of block inlays, so that's what I use. For me, it's for looks.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hmmm... well I was thinking of getting an ebony Fretboard with black MOP block markers. That would be cool and unique but not so obvious. then again maybe it would be stoopid ; )

6. It could look very cool, especially as block inlays :D

7. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    No problem omitting the face dots. I ordered my Sadowsky without them and it was no issue at all. I have black side dots on a maple neck/fb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later
    Rob

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    My Fender Standard Jazz fretless doesn't have dots, and I like the look. What I liked best was my (now sold) Chet Atkins Country Gent g**tar, that had half-moon pearl inlays at the bass edge of the fingerboard.

On the other hand, one of the ooogliest things I have seen is an unlined fretless neck with dots.:spit:

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    What I also like is the Gretsch look... 1/4 blocks along the side. Very cool.

10. i'm not thrilled by dots or blocks all the way up the neck but just one inlay at the 12th is nice.

11. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    IMO they are not needed. If you look at your neck for reference you look at the side dots, not front dots. Sometimes fret markers can add to the beauty of an instrument however ... it's a matter of personal taste.

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I've got none, neither side nor front, and I'm happy with that.

13. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    My G&L L-2000 has a birdseye maple fretboard with no dots. while it's fine to play in my bedroom, it's kind of weird on stage when lighting isn't always the best. I guess I'm just not used to NO markers.

14. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    The only time that you really need front markers (IMHO), is if you play looking at yourself in a mirror (I can't help that in my front room :smug: ).

Apart from that, why have them?

When I wanted a graphite neck for my StingRay, I ordered a custom one from Status Graphite, WITHOUT any dots. Looks waaaaayyyy cooler, IMO :) :

139-3932_IMG-1.
    139-3934_IMG-1.

Here's one with the dots :)ninja: it belongs to a good friend of mine, so I really hope that he doesn't see this post :D ):

TrevswhiteStatusRay.

Each to their own, but personally, I prefer the "Stealth" look.

:smug: