1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Face in the Bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by J.D.B., Feb 28, 2008.

1. Nailed it! Now the fun begins! Opinions, please? Tele-bass neck or standard? I'm leaning toward The Tele, as long as I can find a decent Jazz-dimensioned one with a maple fretboard. Doug is (I hope) including an extra piece of that walnut so I can veneer-match the headstock. How does that sound? I'm wondering wether I should finish it all "natural" or maybe paint up the body(alder)behind the walnut top(maybe some shade of white)? Also, would there be any(worthwhile) tonal versatility to be gained by giving each pickup it's own volume AND tone, or, should I hook it up the usual Jazz way?
    I'll update as it comes along in any case.....
    Josh

tele_body.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    kinda like the alien that went into the bass currently pictured in my avatar

DaveM_FirstLookAtBookmatchCaps.

poor guy traveled all this way only to make the ultimate sacrifice for sonic nirvana

all the best,

R

3. I see a wolf in yours Rodent.

4. WOW! With complete alien genitalia! That is one beautiful pice of lumber! We could probably use that one in the Rorschach battery! I keep looking at it and it gets cooler and cooler. Where'd ya find it and what is it?
    Josh

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    hey Josh -

it's a piece of Black Walnut crotch that I bookmatched for a client's bass build. the piece on the right was cut from the section right above the alien's head

this kind of figuring is relatively common in Walnut, and you can find a large quantity of Walnut to choose from at most hardwood stored. IIRC this was on special for roughly $4/bf

for reference, Walnut combines with Mahogany and Spanish Cedar for a very aesthetically pleasing sandwich combination

DaveM_BodySideDetail.

all the best,

R

6. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    holy crap. i do see a face:eek:

7. Any thoughts about giving each pickup own volume AND tone? Worthwhile or...worthless?
    Josh

8. TeleBear done! Now what's next? These builds are like crack(but I can quit anytime)!
    Josh

tele_bear_1.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I love it!
    Beautiful!