Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Face metling distortion wanted...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jun 3, 2005.

1. I was wondering what the best and most affordable distortion pedal for bass is that will blow someones face off. I want shreaking, harsh, killer distortion. I want it DIRTY and raunchy sounding.

2. effector 13: torn's peaker, improbability drive
    zvex: woolly mammoth, machine(or machine -> mammoth :) )
    EHX: Old Russian (Sovtek) Big Muff Pi
    Black Cat: Bass Octave Fuzz

ok those r basically fuzz pedals...for DISTORTION (not fuzz...cuz u might not want a fuzz...) I use a HomeBrew Electronics Big-D...but if u want melt ur face of kinda stuff, grab one of the pedals from above (note: Clean blend might very possibly be necessary to get the best sound out of some of those pedals, not all, but a couple of them)

3. personally, i'd go with the big muff...those are pretty sweet.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 if you want way over the top fuzz. I actually run this pedal through another distortion pedal to calm it down.

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Boss Metal Zone.

-Eric.

6. what's the cheapest of all these pedals? prices?

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know, I got a Rat from tplyons... he aparently modded it, but I have to have it with very very little distortion for me to use it in any context that I normally would, because it can get pretty extreme.

8. oh, and does anyone have Bass Torn's Peaker clips? Thanks:)

9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I say go for a Big Muff Pi. I picked mine up for 55 shipped used. It's a killer fuzz pedal for the price.

10. I agree - I have had a NYC Big Muff Reissue for a few weeks and now know why tplyons recommends these as the best. I can get a great variety of sounds, from an overdriven tube to a full on wall of fuzz. This Big Muff doesnt seem to drop the bottom end out at all, which I have heard some NYC's do - in fact, I dont run the tone below ten 'clock, as it can lose definition in the bottom end and become muddy. The Big Muff is a great buy for $ and if you get a good one, can give you that killer overdrive/distortion/fuzz you want.

11. i personally dont like the NYC big muffs, id rather use a sovtek...i find them grittier and dirtier...

but u cant go wrong with this peice of advice: TRY B4 YOU BUY!!!!!! If you can get to a boutique shop (or take advantage of an online one's return policy), test out some of the crazier pedals out there...they should also have the more generic stuff (big muff, etc) for u to try as well...jsut sit down, and give these things a good test run

btw I jsut heard a soundclip of the Urso Splinter @ pedalgeek.com, and it sounds DEFINITELY testworthy...killer distortion...

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'd go for a Big Muff. I've heard the EHX Double-Muff is even more harsh, but I'm not sure how well it holds the bottom end.

Graeme

13. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    BIG MUFF.

14. a guitar center worker suggested a big muff, russian made.

15. Diabolical Funk

Diabolical Funk

Jun 6, 2005
    Does big muff get the edgy cleanish grunge sound that corgan gets with smashing pumpkins? What i mean is, would you suggest this pedal for distortion/overdrive?

16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Big Muff for Fuzz and distortion

Hot Tubes for Overdrive.

Also, you'll never get Corgan's sound on a bass. He sound is based more than just a stomp box, it's also his particular pick-ups, EQ settings, other effects, as well as his amps that he uses.

Bass also doesn't get that edgy, clean, crunchy sound of overdrive the same way a guitar does. In Rock and Blues they call it crunch. On Bass, I best describe is a growl.

By All means go for it! but make sure you aren't trying to attain a sound that is impossible to get on your instrument.

17. That sounds like a combination for the brave! :eek:

I've been to the Zvex site and seen the video/sound clips of those pedals, both of which are pretty intense... both of them together would probably fit right into "face-melting" territory, perhaps even beyond.