Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Face transplant.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Correlli, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Saw a press conference on the world's first face transplant on BBC World last night.

Would you like to have someone else's face?

I think I could handle that.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I dunno. That is wierd.

I hope this remains non-political, but I don't like the idea of having someone else's face. What happens to the donor?

3. That would be: What happened to the donor?:D

4. The donor is dead; you can't transplant living faces. Then they'd need a face transplant, and it'd just be this big cycle.

The woman that had the transplant was severely scarred, and it was affecting her way of life - not socially, but physically as well (I think they said she had trouble eating and breathing). In that regard, it's not weird at all - it's going to help her lead a better life.

For cosmetic purposes, I'm against it. That's what silicone and botox are for.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anyone remember Mission Impossible? ;)

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, in that situation, the person was brain dead. Not physically, yet. But I guess that is a decision for the family.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Did anyone see that news story about the guy in russia that had his face ripped off by a bear? Its like his forehead and chin is all that there. I have no idea how this guy stays alive? It is about the same story. They were talking about other people that could use this

8. wow, tv is getting more and more screwed up every month. but if she had to have it for her life, i guess thats a good casue, anything else is pretty screwed up though

9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey wait..... Can i get a face on my butt?

10. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    no, but you can get a butt on your face:oops:

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    That means i could fart any time i wanted too! Awsome! sign me up!:D

12. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    ask some of the people around here. I think they already think i have a butt on my face!:p

13. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    There was a lot of controversy over this transplant because it was unclear whether the subject Isabelle Dinoire was psychologically stable. She had tried to commit suicide by overdosing on tranquilizers, and when she passed out, her dog apparently ripped her face to shreds trying to wake her up (he gnawed off her mouth).

She looks suprisingly good in her photos, but apparently the muscles and nerves dont work yet in her new face.

14. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Damn thats messed up! Thats my darn luck! If i tried to kill myself i would just pass out and have a critter eat my face! Or worse!:eek:

15. Really? I had no idea.

I know I'm basing what I'm going to say next on a fictional TV show, but I would have thought that this kind of thing would still have had to go through a transplant committee like everything else does. Wouldn't attempted suicide rule her out for a transplant because it's evidence of mental unstability?

ref: House, ep. 1x14 "Control".

16. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    What Westland said is correct.
    To paraphrase what she said, her life was miserable, she took some drugs to make her "forget," passed out, woke up, tried to light a cigarette, and had no lips to put it in.

She's worn a medical mask in public since then, and we're talking about damage that was basically irrepairable.

The pictures released today at the news conference show that, basically, they sowed on the entire bottom portion of her face, from jaw on up to the bridge of the nose, which had basically been chewed off.

And yes, Tplyons, it does harken back to Mission Impossible, in that she is definitely not the woman she was before physically.

17. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    The skin came from a suicide victim...

how would you like to be wearing a suicides [expletive deleted] victims skin on your face???

and now the [expletive deleted] Frenchwoman is smoking.... which she was told NOT to do.. her face will now melt. Watch.

Isn't it a bit much to ask to shed a (probably longtime) addiction after such traumata(plural!) ? I see the countdown running again...

18. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    As a person who suffers serious stress issues, I can understand hers. Imagine having this procedure done before you criticize.

And it was the donor's face, not her *to stay within TB bounds* rear end.

FACE TRANSPLANT, not SKIN GRAFT.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Hmmm do you mean "i want to look better" cosmetic, or I had my face burned off and now it looks scary functional but scary now i would like to have a real human face not carpet cosmetic?

20. i think my head is pretty rooted. I would like a new one :p

P.S - Whats up with all these people changing their Usernames? :meh: