1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Facebook?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 6, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Do any of you ever get weirded out by old friends or acquaitances that friend you on Facebook? It just seems odd that some of the people who contact me do so since at the time I really knew them, we weren't that tight. In some cases, I have been friended by women who avoid me years ago.

It's no big deal, but it makes me wonder if they have anything going on in their current lives?

2. I find that too, people I didn't know that well in school adding me and whatnot.

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Added an old girlfriend the other day if that's what you mean. I'll prolly never see her face to face again, but it's kinda nice to talk to her a little.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah. I was just thinking this the other day. What is the criteria for a friend? For instance, some dude that I kind of knew in high school (we had a few classes together) was in my suggestions list. I have enough friends in my life. I can't afford anymore. :p
    But seriously, I've added friends like this in the past, but lately I just stopped to wonder why. Perhaps I'm thinking way too hard about it.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess the thing that got me thinking was I was friended by a woman who really dismissed me when we were in college. It was nice to make contact, but I couldn't help but wonder why she would bother after all this time? I know I would never have looked her up based on our last interactions.

The flipside is that I have been able to make contact with some cool friends from my past, and that is great.:)

6. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Frankly I think it's pretty harmless, and can be neat to hook up with people again, you never know, you might have had more in common with that person than you originally thought, especially as you've gotten older. If you don't like them, then un friend them, that's what i've done.

Plus the more friends you have on Facebook the bigger your penis is, so that's a plus.

7. :atoz: Damn.

Mike

8. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Yeah, I get one of those requests to be friends about every week or so....it is like they are seven years old and asking me to be an imaginary friend....this virtual friend BS is simply BS...

but then I am behind the PC curve as well as the technology curve...by choice I might add

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I've gotten way more selective about who I friend. It's not about numbers. If I'm interested in being in touch and knowing about your life, cool. If not, never mind.
    Currently and at my level of engagement, I find it to be more good than bad.

10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I mean partly you're right, but you're also wrong because you can develop real friendships via the internet without ever meeting some one face to face, the same way that people used to do when pen pals were more common. The "friend count" or whatever that facebook/myspace uses is kind of stupid, I'll agree, but I see the benefit of reconnecting with people via facebook.

11. etoncrow

I have made real friends here on TB...as real as they can be w/o swapping lies over a beer...but I believe we are talking about counting coup and watching the numbers grow...

12. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Yea I figured we were talking about the numbers game that everyone plays, but I've made a lot of good friends via the internet that I've never even met in real life, and the whole virtual friend thing that I hear people make from time to time just grates me.

13. Yeah, I can agree with this. We all meet new people each day, especially here on TB. Facebook is just another way to do it that's not necessarily bass oriented. It's also a great way to find out how your buddies in high school are doing 19 years after you graduate and moved away. If someone I kind of knew wanted me to befriend them on FB, I'll go ahead and befriend them. Who knows, they could be a really cool guy/gal now after they grew up a little.

14. etoncrow

TB is a special place on the net; because of the people here. Are you aware of the outpouring of assistance when General Electric brought two brothers together who had been lost for years? I cannot imagine that happening anywhere but here. Facebook to me is much more superficial...but what do I know. I already told you I am behind several curves...

15. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I gotta admit: The only reason I would ever join Facebook is so that I could stalk ex-girlfriends or high school aquaintances I had a crush on.

Which is why I am determined to never join Facebook. Nothing but trouble there.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have to poo. Better change my facebook status.

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well...

I left the area where I grew up, & never went back, nor did I stay in contact. So, its actually allowed me to try & reconnect w/ old school friends. But, that gets old fast.

18. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have had both good and "not good" instances of this. Good was when people I missed and wanted to find, found me--and this has happened a couple of times. Not good was when people I barely remember, don't remember, or would prefer not to remember, want to be "friends".

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Facebook junkie here!! I've not been weirded out but I have been surprised by quite a few HS mates (mostly female) who have friended me who I was not friends with during HS. I usually engage them in conversation and most said they wanted to be friends but were afraid to approach me back then! They say they did notice me.....a lot! In my mind, I'm like 'oh well, you lost out' but on the other side of the coin I'm like 'damn, I really liked that chick'!! LOL! Anyway, that's all in the past and we are all friends now. Saw most of them at last years HS reunion! Plus, no ones trying to hook up or start a relationship. Just genuine friendship. It's cool with me.

20. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    After enough hounding from friends to get on Facebook, I finally gave in. First message a friend left was 'Great, now all the people you've been avoiding for 20 years will be able to contact you.'

He was right, I never went back and I still get requests to be friends of people I swear I have no idea who they are.

It's bas enough running into people on the streets you haven't seen for 10 years and have nothing to say except, 'So what's new?' Do I need to do this online too?