Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Facial expressions (weird ones) while playing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, May 5, 2001.

1. I have this problem;

when I'm playing my bass I do weird things with my face! I leave hang my mouth open, and skrunch up my face, all types of kinda hard-to describe things.

Can anyone relate any similar experiences or solutions?

2. Don't worry about it, you're not alone. My cousin is a pretty well known guitarist in Ottawa, Canada and his facial expressions are kinda his trademark. I think he does them on purpose though. So start to act as if you're doing it on purpose and you're well one yer way!

3. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Please dont laugh, but sometimes I drool!!!!!!

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    wahs are knowen to cause odd facial expressions.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My prior bands gripe at me...they say I look Like I'm standing in for someone...my face is blank, and neutral most of the time. Even when I'm acting like a madman on stage. Go figure. When I do get a facial expression, it's the "Yeah, This is badass." look...you know, typical angst rocker "This rules" look. That's me. But then again, I'm known for being laid back, so people sorta expect it, I think...

6. That brings Robin Trower to mind.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I make this face whenever I solo...

[​IMG]

Sorry G;)

8. THIS JUST MEANS YOUR INTO YOUR MUSIC, WHICH IS A GOOD THING.

9. I look like I'm the only member of the band, and everyone else has been hired. Seriously. The rest of my band always has a straight face or they're just looking down at the neck of the guitar, or just staring at the crash cymbal or whatever, and then there's li'l ol' me, groovin' along, feeling the music.
    I think I might dance to The Happy Ending Song at the end of The Whereabouts of Wally Dudes and the band is called up to bow & stuff. As long as I don't get TOO active, and have my bass bouncing all over the place, I can dance & sing & play. Which, of course, would make me look like a complete and utter idiot if the rest of the band isn't doing anything. :p
    The guitarist will probably just stand there & smile (the song only has 2 chords in it, anyway. :p), the drummer...well, he'll have a bongo (or is it a conga?) hanging off his shoulder, and the pianist is gonna have to bring a tamborine downstage with her.
    Oh well. Maybe I'll just do it on the last night, when none of my family members will be there to see me make a fool of myself. :D:p

10. I leave my mouth open now and then.. then I think about shutting it and I mess up, lol hehe :) I've drooled once or twice. That's about as bad as it gets for me.. other times I just headbang :) hehe

11. I try to conceal my facial expessions if possible, cuz it looks REAL goofy. :D
    During bass lessons though, my teacher pointed out that I was moving my mouth and stuff when I was playing something. Same with my guitar teacher. I just hope nobody here has it as bad as B.B. King though! ;)

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Man, you guys are pretty screwed up. :D

13. whenever im just playing an easy riff, my face stays pretty normal(i think), but when i start goin a bit more difficult, i stick my tongue out to the side, and sometimes do the peoples eyebrow(just raising one). oh well, bring some damn attention to the bass player, we dont get any being normal...

14. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    Canada
    I smile a lot when I play... i'm a happy guy. :D

15. RockinRookie

RockinRookie

Apr 7, 2001
    Im just glad to see im not the only one with that annoying "open mouth" habit

16. i look like i need some ex lax or somethin'

17. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.

lol brad =)

18. Gee, I thought I was the only one who drooled. BTW can I change my name? Metallica doesn't rule so much now that Newsted is gone.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LMAO! Best laff I've had all weekend, Brad!!!:D:D

No offense, Gabu.;)

20. ive always been told i don't make any real expressions when i play music. but in my old band the drummer looked like the "bitter beer face" guys whenever he played. and the old rhythm guitarist always looked like he was chewing gum and his face would scrunch up. very funny stuff.