1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Facing a lot of trouble with busy basslines...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The Big, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Malcolm1935

Malcolm1935

Feb 5, 2021
    Dirt simple, read the chord from the left to the right. The root first, then the 5, then the correct 7 and 3 then anything else the chord is revealing. Now what can you leave out?

As LBS said, it depends on a lot of things, but, you need to know which of those things could be left out.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  2. DarnellBass

DarnellBass Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Stevie Wonder plays the bass line on a synth, that's probably why.
    'During the recording process, bassist Nathan Watts laid down a bass guitar line to serve as a guide track for Wonder, but Wonder eventually replaced this with his own keyboard bass performance.'

3. Invest 5-8 hours a day playing bass and you’ll get there in no time.

Maki_Randy likes this.
  4. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    Plenty of songs that I just can't seem to get down. Off the top of my head, I'd say Green Day - Minority(can't get into the melody and my fretting hand isn't responding well to the changes), Rancid - Ruby Soho(very busy chorus), Sublime - Date Rape(pretty much a busy song in it's entirety), Grateful Dead - Truckin'(very quick pace, hard time getting into the groove), Hoobstank - Crawling in the Dark(just seems really fast).

What really throws me for a loop are songs with very quick tempos or a lot of change ups. The very second I get off beat or miss one note, it's all over. I can't recover and I have to start all over again which after about the 3rd or 4th time, leaves me frustrated.

5. Maki_Randy

Maki_Randy

Sep 19, 2019
    It's always the same and very simple. You're not at that level yet. So you need to practice a lot. Technique, theory, some scales but don't over do that part. And practice the lines you wanna do slow with a metronome. And speed up gradually until you can play them 5 or better 10 beats faster than the actual song. This means you can go faster and are "chilling" when playing the song as the tempo is.

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Some songs I spend alot of time on, slowing down and gradually speeding up, only to reach a point where I'm not progressing. I accidentally found out that by then going to 100% tempo, I can finally nail them.

7. Maki_Randy

Maki_Randy

Sep 19, 2019
    Go to 110% of the tempo.

8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Yeah, your previous comment kinda pointed me in that direction, although I can't imagine doing Train Train fingerstyle at 110 ;)

9. Maki_Randy

Maki_Randy

Sep 19, 2019
    I get it. But always know that somewhere there's someone who has no problems playing that at 110 or 120%
    Look up the story of Giant Steps by Coltrane. It's seen as one of the most difficult songs to solo over. Super fast chord changes and so on. John solo's over this as if it was nothing. The piano player, I don't know Flanagan or Walton. Completely shut down on his solo on the record. He could barely follow the root chords and he was a seasoned jazz musician.
    Or check this version of dean town...

10. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    I definitely know my technique isn't great and I need to practice more exercises. Should've been doing that all along these last 20 years of playing haha. I'll get it eventually.
    I should look for it but I'm pretty sure I got a bass magazine where there's a lesson on speed from Juan Alderete. But I'll give your advice a try. Thanks!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021