1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Facing Facts

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Saturday, I met a guitarist who noticed my TB hoodie and told me he was looking for a bassist. He said he had some gigs lined up, and he wanted me to make a jam on Monday at a bar/restaurant in St. Louis. I ended up backing out last night when I realized it was 10-1, and I know I have to be up before 6 to get a kids ready for school.

I would love a paying gig, but I simply am too old to stay out late playing on weeknights. heck, I don't think I could regularly do it every weekend without getting worn down.:(

2. Just finished doing a show with many late nights. The mornings were not fun, but having my voice 3 octaves lower than normal was kind of cool.

3. thwump64

thwump64

Feb 2, 2010
    Oshawa, ON
    That sound pretty BA right there.

4. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    pffft who needs sleew when there's coffee.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    You've got your priorities straight - I wish all parents were as selfless.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I more than 2x your age. I need to sleep!;)

7. minmei

minmei

Apr 1, 2010
    NorthLA
    Yay! for supporting your kids . . . and good you know your limits.

I know sometimes I hate my parents but I do know they love me and they deserve my respect and my love back .

I fell so bummed for those kids at my school who parents aren't really into them, it screws with their heads.

8. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    as an insomniac (thank you celexa) I know what it's like to go without sleep and feel like i'm 2x my age.

kudos on taking care of your kids first though.

9. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Every rocker takes an afternoon nap. It's do-able...I'm at work without fail at 6 a.m. every morning, and have had many late weekday shows. Yes, it sucks. Yes, it's tough to adjust to that routine. But it can be done.

10. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    You, apparently.

11. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Wow, I work 6am on weekends and still manage to do gigs at least every other weekend, I get about 3 hours of sleep after a gig but its not so bad, but then again im 22 and dont have any children(other than my fiance).

12. stoneboy26

stoneboy26

Jul 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Thump Music
    i have a 12 month old and I do gigs on a saturday night that see me home at around 3:30-4am. She wakes anytime between 4 and 7am.

then I get up at 5am on a Monday for gym and work. So I basically need to fit 2 sleeps and a day into 24 hours!

FUN!!

I certainly couldn't do it on a weeknight, and not without great support from my family (I have my daughter every 2nd week so without a great family to babysit her, I'd never be able to do my gig)

13. I have a rehearsal every Monday from 9.00pm and won't get home before 1am. I will then wake up at 6.30am for a morning jog with the wife, the dog and the baby in the pram. I also have gigs on most Fridays, on every Saturday and on most Sunday afternoons to late evenings.

I couldn't do this without the support of my wife, my parents and the in laws who help with the baby. But they understand that this is something I have to do because my playing brings in a significant portion of our family income.

14. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    This is why I'm divorced and have no children.

15. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    If you want to gig start looking for like minded musicians.

It took a while but I found a group of decent players who want to play only once or twice a month. We usually only play on Saturdays so that we don't have to run around after work to setup....

16. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Nothing wrong with keeping your family as your #1 priority.

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    This is my first weekend off in 9 weeks. I really want to sit in my recliner and sleep with a little dog in my lap until it's time to go back to work on Monday. But instead, I really have to treat the Mrs. to a weekend of fun and romance to let her know how much I appreciate her letting me continue to gig like I am.

I can do a mid week thing rarely if need be. (I don't like it) But you're right about the weekends wearing on you.

18. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Luckily, the kids are grown and out of the house with families of their own. But I'm nearly 60 years old with a high pressure day gig, and the hours can kill me at time.

So for this year, I have had only one weekend off from music. I usually do 2-3 dates per weekend and have had 9 weeknight gigs thus far in 2010. I work every day from 7am 'til 6pm managing a large environmental construction firm, so those weeknight jobs are brutal, as are the 3 date weekends.

We are really trying to accept less gigs this year, but failing miserably. We even raised our rates hoping some places would stop asking for us, but that hasn't worked out at all. And it's not about the money ... to be honest, no one in the band needs gig money to exist.

Hard choices for sure, Dr C .... the love of playing balanced against the realities of maintaining a family life are tough. If I knew I could just stop playing and not go crazy I'd probably do it. But I know better .... I'm hooked like a junkie .... :rolleyes:

19. Gigging can be hard. I work at 6am Mon-Fri, and getting home at 1 or 2 am on a weekday can really suck. But That's why God made coffee!!

20. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    God made coffee so musicians can survive the daytime. ;)