1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Facing Reality: My Fat @$$!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I weighed myself at the YMCA and I have gained almost 5 lbs. in the last despite month despite a reasonable excercise schedule and working around the housing while chasing a 2 and 6 year old. The simple fact is that I am well into middle age and my metabolism has really slowed down. I simply cannot eat like a 20 year old any more.:(

If I were not physically active, I would probably be diabetic already. I have to lose weight for my sake and my kids.:help:

2. Welcome to the club Doc!!

I need to exercise and and be hungry all day in order to just maintain or slightly loose weight. I was up to just under 320lbs about 3 years ago, I'm now down to 270. I should loose another 50lbs but I'm pretty much stuck at 270 :meh: I would have to quit working and go into full time training to drop another 50, I just don't see it happening. I'm diabetic and I've cut my levels significantly through diet and exercise.

3. Im not quite middle aged yet, but I was up to about 265 lbs in January. I have always been a bigger guy but up until then the most I ever weighed was 220. The easiest way I have found to shed the pounds (besides being more active) is to drink more water, eat more fruit, and eat 4 or 5 small meals a day instead of a couple huge ones. I did this for about 8 months and my metabolism seems to have sped up. I am currently down to 225 and really feel like I can get in under 220 with no problems.

4. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    remember that muscle weighs more than fat.

i tend to judge by my clothing...which reminds me, i need to go shopping. until now, i've never had clothes that actually grew too big for me.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I hear you, Doc. I'm at a healthy weight now, but I have to work like hell to stay there when it used to be I could eat whatever the hell I wanted and never gain a pound. Here are the things that have helped me get back to my "fighting weight" at 44:

1) Don't eat after you finish dinner. This was the big one for me. Stopping this was the catalyst for the weight loss. I allow myself to eat after a gig if I'm famished, but that's it.

2) Try not to drink calories when you have options. It's amazing how much sugar some stuff has in it that you don't really need.

3) Eat at least one very healthy meal a day (for me, that's lunch), then splurge a bit if you must on one of the other ones. Of course it's better to eat all healthy meals, but whenever I try that, I end up bingeing and making things worse.

4) Regular cardio, whenever your schedule allows.

Good luck with the changes... diabetes, as you know, is nothing to mess with, and those kids need a daddy!

6. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    When I got into my '50's the weight really started to pile on ... too much easy living, getting lazy, eating more, exercising less, blah, blah, blah .... Now, I've always been a big guy (6'5") and never slim, but when I hit 57 this year I also hit 290 pounds, and that was just too much. I needed to get an even bigger waist size than the 42" I was already in and that was the last straw ... :rolleyes:

Since early July when I started watching my intake of sheer food volume alone I lost almost 15 pounds, then my wife was diagnosed with Type II diabetes and had to radically alter her diet in order to keep off of medication. I really started watching what we both were eating and now I'm down to 260 pounds with another 10 pounds to go.

My wife is an amazing cook and with her Hungarian roots we were routinely eating high fat, high calorie food .... all fresh ingredients, all expertly prepared, but not good for us. It took several weeks to get adjusted to balancing out our nutritional needs, but now she continues to cook fantastic meals but without the carbs and sugars (both of which are very problematic for her).

Next up, a closer eye on total calories .... I shooting for 250 pounds by the Holidays ..... old age is a drag, BTW .... :help:

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The hard part for me is 'finding' the motivation to exercise. I hate it. :(

BTW, I read recently that one small fries at a fast food place is equal to 19 laps in a pool. Interesting.

8. Best thing to try and do is go out running in the morning, or do some similar work in the morning. Also, resistance training (weights) is worth looking at.

Was way too overweight at the start of the year, 253lbs, and I am currently at 216lbs, which is a bit of a better weight being 6ft4 :)

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

This one is huge. If you can drink sparkling water instead of soda and the like, you'd be astonished at how many fewer calories you take in.

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I here ya Doc. I am 46 and with God's help 47 this winter and pushin 260. Now I am a big guy always have been 6'1" weightlifter football player build. I used to powerlift and for a short time up to my injury at 40 bodybuild. Now I'm getting fat.

I know what to do how to eat workout etc but i got lazy. I have a pretty high stress job and a 4 year old to chase myself. I need to get my butt in check. Up to last christmas i was about 235 and then i ate everything and anything.

I need to keep workouts light i did alot of damage to my joints from heavy weightlifting and have joint issues. But i can walk and light lift and eat right. Maybe we guys who need this on TB need to make a group and try to stick together to help each other start and get thru this..what do you think?

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Working out is not an issue for me. I enjoy excercising, and I find time to do a fair amount every week. I simply have to eat better. I tend not to drink much in terms of sugary sodas, but my portions have been just too big, and I need to leave desert, chips, and fries alone. Although I am only around 6', I am very muscular. I would be happy just to get to 270 or 265.

12. Cardio, lots of good 'ol fashioned cardio!!!!! Usually shoot for at least 4 hours a week.

What kinda baffles me is when I see people at the gym just going at a weak pace and not working up a sweat. I don't see much point in that. In one workout, I'll burn about as much as they do in a week!

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Cardio is important, but diet gets more important as one ages. Working out too hard can lead to an injury which will lead to no working out.:rollno:

14. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I ride 70-100 miles a week commuting to and from work, and still im heavy.

I have a horrible diet and have for years. I need to change as well.. Immediately.

But its so hard when you been forking in crap for so long to eat healthy..

I am going to really try starting monday for myself.. I need to lose weight as well.

15. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Any good exercise tips for someone with a bad back and shot knees? I read different things, but is there something particular that any TBers have had particular success with?

Hopefully, there are not that many of you with bad backs and shot knees. (I generally have to sit during a good bit of rehearsals. I stand, and dance, through the gigs, but pay for it the next day.)

P.S. That is not me in the avatar.

16. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    Dr. C. i KNOW! fries are the bane of my existence.

mmmm, delicious, greasy bane....

17. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I will be 50 in a couple of months, and over the past few years have started to gain weight as well...I'm not totally out of control yet (I'm 5'10"), but did get up to 210lbs back in January...I have now gotten my weight back down to 195lbs, and would still like to drop another 20lbs if possible.

I have almost completely stopped drinking any kind of soda pop (I can't remember the last time I had one), mainly because I wanted to stop taking in caffeine (no caffeinated coffee anymore either)...and I walk with my wife 4-5 times a week...we typically go by the clock and try to walk and a faily brisk pace for 45 minutes to an hour.

I have also changed my diet quit a bit as well...raely do we eat fast food...and I mean very rarely. we grill a lot (not a lot of fried stuff), and eat lots of salads anbd veggies.

I have also stopped eating after dinner (as mentioned above...this was tough!). I do however eat a little something when I get home from a gig if I'm starving...and it's usually a bowl of cereal or yogurt or a peanut butter sandwich...something like that...

My BIG problem is beer...I love it...I have cut way back on drinking beer through the week, but still like to have a couple from time to time...

18. It baffles me why people think they need 4 hours of cardio when you could do four 15 minute HIIT sessions and burn alot more :) , granted, not for the unfit tho!

Dont take such a negative approach, a gent I know who is in his late 60's still works out often, can bench 450lbs(ish) and squats over 500lbs, used to be gym partners with my dad and godfather.

Start slowly, build up your activities and you will be less prone to injury and your body will heal itself quicker :)

Swimming?

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I bought an elliptical trainer for my house because I can no longer run without extreme knee pain (old b-ball injuries). The thing is great: *very* low impact, and with the magnetic resistance, I can work up a great sweat with no pain at all. I do 30 minutes a day 5 days a week, and burn about 500 calories before ever leaving the house in the morning. Kind of jumpstarts my brain, too.

Stretching every day for the back is also good for me; in my case, loosening my hamstrings with stretches gives me good relief from back pain. Kinda weird, but go figure.

20. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Think scotch :D

Beer has fairly high caloric content generally ranging from the high 90g to as much as 145g per 12oz. Scotch has from the low 50g to some at 75g, so about 1/2 that of beer. And scotch has zero carbs, beer is in the mid 20's or worse, generally.

:cool:

edit: Slightly O/T ... good TBer scotch info here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208510