1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Facing Reality: My Fat @$$!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 10, 2008.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

As long as you watch your caloric intake and what calories get burned off through your workout, you should maintain a healthy weight. Zero fast foods! Zero fruit juices! Eat in moderation. Very important....do not starve yourself. It's ok to have a snack in between meals. Pretzels and Trail Mix type snacks are ok as well as fruits. Add Granola & yogurt to your diet.

I'm 49. I do all the above plus I ride my bike 8-10 miles a day (weather permitting) and I also have an excercise bike at home for when I can't go out due to bad weather. I am Type II Diabetic since 1999. Diagnosed while weighing 220lbs on my short but stocky 5"8" frame. I'm at 190lbs or below these days. You're doing good although 5lbs gained is unacceptable. Just step it up a notch.

2. Why? Because my competition does that much, that's why! ;)

Other than when I was running entirely too much, which was about 10 miles every other day and lots of sprinting, my new routine is very low impact. My bike is 100% fit and sized appropriately and I can do ~8 hours a week without joint soreness. Really, the only risk I have is from wiping out.

3. I "graze" on nuts, fruits and veggies all day and drink lots of water to stave off nagging hunger. I find when lunch rolls around that I don't have that "Man!!! I gotta EAT!!!" monster nagging at me. That way it's much easier to choose a healthy, low fat lunch. It also prevents me from seeking fast food.

When I think about my old lunch habits of super-sized, artery-clogging, ZERO health benefit fast foods, I almost get sick. ALMOST... I still love the occasional triple steak burger from Steak 'n Shake and a large cheese fries - but that's once in a blue moon.

If I bring a sack of fruit, nuts and veggies with me to work and nibble on it all day, I sometimes don't even need to stop for lunch. But if I do feel like I need a lunch, I hit our cafeteria and get a salad and a yogurt + granola parfait and avoid the greasy pizza, burgers, pastas, etc...

I am 40 and my metabolism is still pretty high, so I still burn calories pretty handily - but I do notice when I let my good daily eating habits go slack that I start to get tight in the waistline and feel 'bloated'. So for me, grazing is the best way to simply keep food off my mind and prevent me from getting ravenous and making bad choices at lunch time.

I work on the 4th floor of our building, so I use the stairs as much as possible. That ends up being anywhere from 4 to 8, 8-flight runs per day (and I do take them at a very quick pace/run) + I park in the far corner of our lot - so I've built a LOT of walking into my everyday routine. I think that helps too.

Good luck, Dr! You can make it happen!

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Eat less. Move more. It will come off. Good luck.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Hey Doc,

The awareness is the key first step.
    Now do (and keep doing) the right things, and it'll happen.

Just don't buy rich foods with all the cash you're saving by not buying expensive basses anymore. :D :D

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    To make things clear, this is my excercise schedule:

I try to stretch daily.

I walk (at least a mile) and climb stairs daily.

I walk a treadmill 2-4 days weekly.

I lift weights times 2-4 weekly.

I do situps and pushups 2-6 times weekly.

I do yard work including cutting grass or raking leaves on our 1/3 of an acre plot at least weekly during the summer and fall.

I shovel snow during winter although we don't get alot here. My driveway is 125 ft. long on a hill, so it's a rough workout!:eek:

7. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You don't do enough cardio stuff. You say you "walk" a treadmill. You "walk" a mile. Neither of these are cardio. You need to jog, swim, run, ride a bike. Start with replacing one of those walking sessions with jogging. Then replace one of your "walking" on the treadmill. with jogging. Then work up to where you've replaced ALL of your walking with something that's cardio. You body adapts very quickly to walking and reaches a level of efficiency so that it is not really working very hard. Drop the weights too. You don't need to lift weights. It eventually adds weight anyway. Replace this with something that is cardio. My two cents. :)

8. What is your daily intake like?

I'd try and up the cardio from walking to jogging (to start with).

What do you do when you lift weights?

Sounds fairly excersise to me so far, possibly just need to cut down on what you are eating, or eat better :)

9. Continual regular dull old cardio like that alone is sub-optimal at best.

Weights are good tho, sure, will add weight, but it sure as heck isnt easy to add alot of weight! And the extra muscle mass you do get will burn more energy :)

10. Also

Look into examples of circuit training, that is a great way to get fitter and loose weight. Look into things like CrossFit, see if there is anywhere near by that does it, go along and give it a shot :)

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't know how old you are, but I am in my late forties. At my age and weight, alot of brisk aerobics can be very hard on the body. Running is very hard on the knees and ankles, and since I have a bad lower back from a motorcycle accident over thirty years ago, even too much cycling can irritate my hamstrings/lower back. That is why watching my diet is key for me. I remember when I could literally run off weight, but my ability to do that has really shrunk since my early forties.
    That is why I am focusing so much on diet.

12. Do you swim? That's a great, no-impact way to get the heart a-pumpin!

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No, but I may learn soon. My oldest daughter is a great swimmer and she already is ripped at six!:D She will be starting her fall lessons this Saturday.:cool:

14. Well, even if you don't swim, you can still exercise in a pool and get that heart rate up without the negative impact on your knees and ankles. Maybe water aerobics?

15. I happen to live on a lake approx 1.95 miles in circumference. Extremely convenient for exercise, and you can get the extra .05 by walking around one of the connected circles a couple times.

:smug:

Anyway, great job Dr.! Keep it up.

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, but remember that you're in your early 20's. If you're in your mid-late 40's and have bad knees and sporadic back pain, it's a different story. Low impact cardio and diet are much more likely to be sustainable in middle age.

When I do my daily elliptical "runs", I use either music or TV to keep me interested and moving along fast enough to break a good sweat. And there's no impact on the knees of back.

17. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, I agree, BUT at this stage of the game he needs to start there. Get his body used to moving and working with a high heart rate. Then he can incorporate things like pushups and isometric stuff. Weights come after that. Of course, this is just my opinion.

I've alway been in pretty good shape. But just a couple of months ago, I lost thirteen pounds by changing my diet just a little bit (eliminated snacks, cut back on the beer) and started riding my bike to work (I realize not everyone has this luxury). The bike was adding about 20-40 minutes (depending where I was working that day) of cardio to my routine. I was doing it 3-4 days a week. I already surfed pretty regularly, so this was all I added to my routine. Whatever Dr.Cheese chooses, is his own choice.

18. If he chose not to decide he still has made a choice!

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    At my age, I am not lifting heavy weights. I am still as strong as ever, but heavy weights are hard on your joints. I often do three or four sets of 20 with 135 when I bench or two or three sets or 50 at 220 or 260 on the leg press. My other lifts are more aimed at keeping muscle tone than getting bigger. I'm keeping the aerobics moderate and the diet more modest.;)

20. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I understand, but your tone will still be there from whatever you choose to do for cardio. You can develop tone from running, biking, swimming, etc. Either way, weights aren't bad, but they're not really burning the fat which, IMO, is what you need.