1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Facing Reality: My Fat @$$!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 10, 2008.

1. I think you guys are worrying too much about age, but maybe thats because im used to knowing older dudes who are well beyond middle ages and still hammering it harder than I could manage!

You are on track with the lower weight higher rep approach, easier on the joints and promotes muscle mass as opposed to just strength.

That is also why I said to move from walking to jogging and slowly work up from there. Mentioned swimming on the last page too.

Good call on the elliptical tho, totally forgot about that.

And regardless, music is always good :)

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm similar to some of you in that I've always had a muscular frame. I have very wide shoulders and upper body. But fighting extra weight is a constant struggle for me.

I just turned 58, and yes, the metabolism does slow down a bit as we get older. At least mine has. :bawl:

In 2004, I went to a Media Relations seminar at the Univ. of South Carolina. They did several videos of us in various interview situations. When I got home and looked at the videos, I felt disgusted. I was up around 250. (I'm 6' even.) I decided to try the Atkins diet. (Yeah, I know. A lot of folks hate it and say it's unhealthy.)

After about four months, I had lost 31 lbs. I've always jogged and done calisthenics, because I had to pass physical fitness standards every year (I recently retired from federal law enforcement.) So despite my weight, I've always been in good "cardio shape".

Anyway, the Atkins WILL shed the weight if you want to knock some off quickly. I've gained back some of it over the last 4 years. I'm around 225 now (up from 219), but I still jog regularly. Not very far (about a mile), and not very fast; but I force myself to do it. I tell people that I jog so slowly that old folks with walkers pass me up. ;)

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It depends how fit they are. They could be cardio training just by walking.

4. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    the answer is simple: just do more cardio at your gigs.

seriously, i am a huge advocate of swimming and other types of aquatics. the Y here offers aqua kickboxing and aqua aerobics. they're designed for...uh, older folks :smug:

plus, learning to swim is one of the best things ever.

5. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm currently doing Atkins myself and the results are really starting to show. True that the diet pretty much means changing the way you consume carbs for the rest of your life, and if you're not careful you can raise your colesterol level significantly. But it does work, works pretty quickly and if you're disciplined about your carbs you can keep the weight off for good.

Can be tough with a family though. Just another option. Hang in there - you CAN do it!

6. Hmm, Id suggest staying away from the Atkins, you loose weight, but not in a healthy way, and maintaining that diet isnt terribly healthy either, your body really does need carbs!

Basically, what to keep in mind cheese, is there is no quick fix, just work away slowly, aiming to loose 1-2lbs a week, maybe more, and you will get there sooner than you think. Another thing that helps is keeping a tab on your weight, I used to keep a spreadsheet on the computer, and seeing the numbers decreasing really does help :)

7. However, if you want a borderline psychotic diet that will shed the weight, look at the Velocity Diet. That aint a long term thing, and it aint sensible. But it looses weight!

8. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    There's a lot of guys here talking up the "more cardio" angle. From the list you mention Dr. Cheese, you do just enough exercise to lose weight If you took care of your food intake. If you do more cardio but eat more because of it, it ain't going to help.

The reason people are fat is very simple. We eat a lot more than our body needs to survive. To top it off, most of the stuff in the grocery stores are 10 times richer and more fattening then they were 20 years ago. You really gotta do your homework if you want to lose weight and by that I mean calculate your daily intake everyday

I've been on the overweight side all my life and have been depressed over it for the longest time. I tried sports in the past and lost some weight but always managed to gain it back once I stopped doing the sports. My wife wanted to lose weight and joined Jenny Craig a few years ago, I first rolled my eyes when she told me that but she lost 25 pounds in a couple of months. So I joined too after that. Jenny Craig's secret is easy: they teach you how to eat properly and tell you what to eat until you learned the system and can do it on your own. I lost 55 pounds and am the smallest I've ever been in my life, 165 pounds. It's now 6 months I finished Jenny Craig and I'm still the same weight I was 6 months ago.

It's not easy to learn how to eat properly but all the tools are out there if you want to do it.

Of course, this post is worthless without pics ;)

First pic April '07, second pic January '08

Bass006. 00317.

9. Trust me, just by cutting out the extra crap you eat and drinking more water (use it to quench hunger between meals iunstead of snacking) with that excersize you'd be shedding the weight no problem :)

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You are right, I am active enough that I can lose weight if I watch my intake. That said, I do intend to ramp up my aerobics slightly, but not enough to aggravate any conditions I have.

11. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    In my past few years of trying to go on and off of getting into shape and getting a nice body and such. I've found that what I need to do is combine weight training and with what I'm doing in cardio. It's easy to turn fat into muscle then just burning it all off. Also I eat a lot of small meals, 3 hours apart. Right now a bowl of oatmeal and a banana or some other fresh fruit. Also there's nothing wrong with small munching. A handful of nuts or dried cranberry won't kill your dieting plans.

Also a great way to do this is dancing. I was never a dancer but my dear is. She loves and it and I was also embarrass about my size and lack of abilities. We're taking classes together now and I really enjoy it and it's just plain fun. Swimming is great too, though I can understand the embarrassment, at least I have, sharing the pool with some of those with swimmer bodies but that's quite okay, just build.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I think all these two posts are falling down to one thing. Eat less move more. Diet and exercise are the key. A little focus on both will get you where you want to be. One key thing here is you have to be disciplined and honest with yourself.

13. Since weight is not the reason I've made my lifestyle changes, I really can't speak to the weight reduction end of this discussion. I made my changes to hopefully keep my cardiovascular system free of YUCK. As much as I LOVE a good burger and fries, I cannot ignore the 'yuck' feeling I have shortly after eating such foods and feel that avoiding them is a huge priority in not only remaining at a healthy weight, but also keeping my cv system flowing as it should.

I've found that adjusting my everyday lifestyle to include more activity in everyday things - always walking, using stairs, mowing the lawn into crop circles, etc... and controlling my tendency to want to PIG OUT at meal time by grazing on delicious, healthy fruits, nuts, veggies and good old H[sub]2[/sub]O helps make staying healthy a no-brainer.

By the way, the lawn mowing thing is a real workout! It's one thing to walk behind a self-propelled mower in nice, straight lines. Change that to mowing outward in concentric circles and watch how much the workout increases! Plus you end up with a yard that has Japanese Sand Garden-like patterns which are just cool to look at (IMO).

P1010005.
    P1010008.
    P1010009.

What I've seen is many people who try to add to their already busy lifestyle things like additional visits to the gym or some ultra-strict diet. This usually holds fine for a week or so while your motivation is high, then the newness and motivation wane and your normal life retakes your daily routine leaving you right back where you started.

By making simple, but healthy adjustments to things you do anyway and spending that first week or two when your motivation is high focusing on those small adjustments to help ensure they assimilate into your routine, the likelihood that they will become your normal life goes up.

It takes longer and the results don't show as quickly, but they will show. The real benefit is that your normal life now is responsible for your healthy disposition as opposed to some bolt-on, inconvenient additional set of activities and rules that make health maintenance a chore.

The cumulative effect of controlling a nagging appetite, increasing normal activity in general (walk faster, use the stairs more, etc...), water intake and the fact that all of this fits into your already established routine will improve the chances that it will stick - hopefully for a long and healthy lifetime.

Then you just have to find a way to manager your G.A.S.!

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    doc, buy a jump rope, go walking, do something, bro.. eat better, get on some vitamins and minerals.. drink water!!

i am a boxer because it keeps me on my toes and prevents the onset of diabetes.. both my dad and brother are diabetic...

eat and exercise to live!

:)