fact is stranger (funnier) than fiction...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by monkeybassist, Oct 4, 2002.

1. monkeybassist

Oct 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Endorsed by Ampeg, DR strings, strong relationship with Surine basses
    Okay, this story is absolutely true. I have a buddy who plays keyboards for the big mouse out in Orlando. Disney hires a walk-around hillbilly band from Alabama, or Arkansas (certain details escape me..) and flies them out for the gig. When they arrive they immediately are told to shave and cut their hair to conform to the man's specifications.
    Next step is on to the costume department where they paste facial hair and wigs onto them so they 'look the part of a rural bluegrass band'.
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    That's a bit like swabbing someone's arm before administering their lethal injection.
  3. Wake up! It's time for your sleeping pill. :rolleyes:
  4. That doesn't make much sense.

"shave your beard and cut your long hair so we can paste a fake beard and put on a wig."

Pretty stupid if you ask me.
  5. 'Nuff Said

6. My mom did that to me once. I just asked her what the **** she was waking me up for.
  7. As a kid I was watching some comedian on television and he said that (wake up, time for your sleeping pill). My mother was working as an RT at a hospital and told me that nurses there actually did wake patients to get them to take sleeping pills.
  8. I re-iterate... "thats pretty stupid if you ask me" :p

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i would prefer to do things naturally (remain sleeping) whenever i would be able to avoid taking pills that kinda artificially do things.

seems safer.

and much, MUCH more rational.
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, sleeping pills do have after-effects. There was this guy in the army who coulden't sleep save perhaps couple hours each night, and during field excercises not at all. I saw him rarely at those gigs because of my status, but when I did the guy was like a zombie.

Some days at the barracks he was very weird too, and he told me that the sleeping pills the army doc gave him did help him sleep bit more but that he was totally dazed the next day.
  11. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The sleeping pill thing really depends on hospital policy.

Many times a doc will write the order as a timed order rather than as an as needed order. That takes away the nurses options she actually HAS to do the 'Wake up, here's your sleeping pill' thing.

And yes we are aware of just how stupid it is.

But just try to train some of these new docs to write orders that make sense.

It's the kind of thing that makes you so mad a nun would slap a baby.