Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

factories in china

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by donbasso, Oct 6, 2005.

1. donbasso

donbasso

Oct 6, 2005
    taipei,taiwan
    hi!

i´m living in taipei, taiwan and i´m going to spend a few months next year in china. i used to play a low quality half-accoustic bass for a couple of years and am fed up now with the poor sound of it. a friend of mine told me, that a lot of bass and guitar companies haf factories in china and so i thought i could save some money by buying my new instrument there. i enjoy the possibilities of an half accoustic bass and want keep on playing ond even though it hasn´t to many fans. my problem is that the friend who told me isn´t quite sure about which companies are producing in china, so i thought i could find some help here. thanks for your answers

donbasso

2. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO

SX Manufacturer

Glenn D.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not likely that they're set up to have you walk in and purchase one. This is why large manufacturers go through distributors.

4. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I hadn't hear of SX in GuanZhou before; the biggest Chinese factory, in my understanding, is Cort's factory in TianJin (1 hr north of Beijing). You can probably get more information from Alibaba.com. But from my experience with Chinese mega-factories, you will have to buy a container load of guitars, or none at all from the factory. You can usually call up, though, and they will have a sales rep who speaks fluent English. Give it a try.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Have one made for you by someone there.

A good friend of mine was living in Japan a while back and was down the street from the Fender Japan factory...always wanted to go dumpster diving there, but never got a chance.

Then his company moved him to China...for the same $$$ he now has a HUGE house and more house staff than he knows what to do with...and when doing the move he was told not to bring any furniture, but to have it all made there...it was steeply cheaper to have all out custom stuff built.

I would think you could find a real craftsman there who could do some killer stuff for lots cheaper than you would here.

6. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    For custom building, you might talk to Eddy piano in Hong Kong ... they have woodworkers in Zhuhai that can do nearly anything. They did a great job on rebuilding my piano .... a job considerably larger than a bass

7. donbasso

donbasso

Oct 6, 2005
    taipei,taiwan
    first things first: thanks four your answers!

@tplyons i generally agree with your opinion about their selling behavior - on the other hand i think that in china are many things possible that usually won´t work if you have a nice conversation, smile and of course payment for the people. i think i must try to get a instrument , because i´m on my tour there anyway and so i can combine the joyfull with the even more joyfull ;)
    @westland thanks for the advice about the sales rep.i can speak chinese, so my first thought was that i could talk to a worker and get a connection to the trade on this way. i think they will be more understandable towards my case than a "real businessman" would.
    @burningskies i really like the idea of a custommade one! although you said i could save money i´m still afraid about the price... do you have an idea about where a custommade beginns? my bass should be about under 1000 $ . possible?

besides, all three factories are well placed - hongkong, tianjin and guangzhou are on my route anyway.

donbasso

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Since I haven't done this myself I can't quote a price for you. But my friend described all of the stuff he'd had built at being about 1/4 the price of things here...if that holds true, I can't see why you couldn't do it. The trick is finding someone there who can do it...I'm sure they're out there...