Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Factories

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can we get a running list going of string brands which are known to not be made by said brand? For example, who actually makes Ampeg strings? Does Fender actually make their own strings? Where are these factories?

Please only post what you are confident is accurate.

I'm tired of hearing conflicting BS from salesdopes about strings. I'm starting to hear terms like "Chinese strings" and such that I've not heard before. Or "Fender strings are crap cuz that's what are shipped on the basses".

2. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I couldn't tell you for sure who doesn't make their own, but Fender does make their own strings in their Mexican factory.

Anytime some salesman tells you there are only three or four string manufacturers in the world, you can be sure you're dealing with a moron. I know of eleven string companies who definitely make their own strings in-house, I'm sure there are several more, and that's just in North America and Europe.

3. ampegloud

ampegloud Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    kansas city mo
    im a direct factury rep for rotosound strings and im a bass player too, i dont know about anyone else but we at rotosound make our own strings in our factory in great britan, any questions feel free to e mail me

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, a while back, I did some research on this very question. Sometimes it's hard to get to the truth, but here's what I can tell you:

No question that GHS is an actual string manufacturer. Same goes for D'Addario and LaBella. Everly makes strings in Burbank, CA. on their own equipment. Dean Markley owns American String Winding who makes their strings. Fodera makes strings in their shop, you can see pix on the website.

Ken Smith told me that his strings are contracted out, but all the packaging etc. is done in his shop. Alembic contracts their strings out, but supplies all the wire which is unique to Alembic. Mike Tobias told me that his strings are contracted out, and made to his specifications.

Now here's some of what I think:

Carvin roundwounds appear to be LaBellas, since they look exactly the same, and have the same color silk applied exactly the same as LaBellas. Carvin flatwounds appear to be GHS Precision Flatwounds, as they look and sound the same as those (same purple silk, etc.).

Ernie Ball personnel assured me that they make their own strings, but they were pretty short on details, so I'm not really sure what the deal is there.

Lâkland Joe Osborn flats are made by GHS. Actually that's not an opinion, it's well known.

I'm pretty sure SIT actually makes strings, but again, I'm not 100% on that.

So there you go. Hopefully this helps you in your quest. I didn't say anything about Rotosound or Fender because that info is already in this thread. :bassist:

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Carvin flatwounds are also made by LaBella, not GHS.

And, the Carvin tapewound strings are simply LaBella tapewound strings.

Thomastik Infeld make their own strings.

I love the "There are only three plants that make all of the strings--in the world!" stories, too.

As if "String Winding Technology" has been lost with the information on how to build pyramids for the Pharaohs. Or, the equipment requires kryptonite, or lasers, or endangered bald eagle feathers, or something...

6. Damn dude! There's no BS'n you at the string counter! Thanks for taking the time to post this. :)

7. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    When I said I know of eleven, that wasn't including Dean Markley, Everly or Ernie Ball, since I didn't know. Looks like I can add Dean Markley and Everly to the list.

The eleven I knew are Fender (Mexico), Pyramid and Maxima (Germany), Thomastik (Austria), Rotosound (UK) and these US makers: LaBella, SIT, D'Acquisto, D'Addario, GHS and Fodera.

The tapewounds from Carvin are not labeled Carvin, they are labeled LaBella 760N. The only differences between these and LaBella 760N you can buy through a local dealer are 1) the ones from Carvin have a longer winding length for their string-thru hollowbody basses. 2) Carvin's price is much lower than the competition.

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I do not believe this to be true, and I'll tell you why. But first, I'm not calling you a liar or anything, I've talked to the Carvin guys and been assured that all their strings are made by LaBella. If you take the Carvin flatwounds that I've seen, and put them next to GHS Precision Flatwounds, you'll think they're the same thing, too. The surface appearance is the same, the silk is the same, and they don't have a taperwound B like La Bellas. LaBellas look different, feel different, and sound different (and have blue silk).

Now, if you have a set of Carvin flats that look like LaBellas, then I withdraw my comments. Carvin has been known to change suppliers. The last time I was in the Carvin showroom, I looked at the flatwounds, and they were dead ringers for GHS. I'm not calling the Carvin guys liars either, but I think they may sometimes be misinformed.

No question that the tapes are in LaBella packaging, I've used those, too.

9. What about DR? There's pictures of the factory at their site, and all the talk about the special way they're made, must mean something...right?

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Yes, DR makes their own strings in their
    own factory.

11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

13. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    From experience w/ both brands...

If I had to guess, I'd say that Smiths are made by DR.

That's just my hunch.

14. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Maxima is still in business in Germany. They mainly manufacture fishing line, but they also still make the nylon and steel instrument strings. However the company is not under the original ownership.

15. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    At one trade show a few years ago, Mark Dronge(DR Pres.) came up to me and asked how I do my packaging. I told him how we buy all the individual Labels, Envelopes,Plastic Pouches and Master carton Boxes all from seperate suppliers. The Labels are made by the same printer that does our catalogs. All the others supply a good many of the other compaines.

I know too much information about who does what. So to be respectful to the other companies in business I have to remain silent.

But with this one exception! When I was asked by DR how I do my packageing for my Strings, it made me wonder if they actually made thier own ! I have been told a few things about thier manufacturing but then again , I must remain silent in the matter.

I am friends with the heads of many of the companies listed here as well as others not listed. A little respect goes a long way.

16. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Wow... Straight from the man.

Regardless... Both brands are top notch.. My familiarity and satisfaction w/ both brands is what led me to my 'hunch.'

Initially, I thought it would be interesting to throw my theory out there because it's such a true 'blindfold' test that I wanted to go out on a limb and make a correct call based on my ears and fingers.

I stand corrected

Keep up the good work, man.

Any chance of scoring a sponsorship? ;-)

17. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    SIT strings are made right here in the former rubber city AKRON OHIO! Great strings ...try some today.:bassist:

18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> The Maxima golds and chromes are no
    longer made, this is straight from a
    discussion I had with the distributor,
    Gary Castellucio. I got some of the last
    remaining sets of golds.

19. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Smiths are made by GHS. No big secret.
    Good strings, good price.

20. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Rickenbacker strings are made by SIT, and may
    have been made for a time by GHS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.