1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Factory 2nd from eBay. Would you trust this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrueNorthMatt, Sep 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hi. I have never bought factory 2nds from eBay, but I did buy an entry level factory 2nd acoustic guitar in a local shop several years ago. It came with a 3 or 6 months warranty from the shop, and I'm still very happy with it.

For example, this item: Ibanez Prestige ATK1205 NT ASH Body 5 String Bass CAP Sonic Japan With Case | eBay

There is no manufacturer warranty. The seller is clear about it. If I believe him, the ONLY problem with it is some discoloration on the neck. I can totally live with that. But I have read people saying there could be, for example, a truss-rod problem, and that wouldn't be seen on the picture, obviously.

The shop has a 100% positive feedback, and takes returns 14 days after item is received.

What do you think? If I decide to return it (this one or another), the "adventure" would cost me a total 120 USD for shipping in and out.

2. I'm pretty sure that if Ibanez found a bad TR or another neck issue in a bass going through QC, it would NOT be stamped "2nd" and would be chucked into the chipper instead. "Second" or "Used" or "B" is usually reserved for cosmetic issues only. IME AFAIK of course.

MobileHolmes and hdracer like this.
  3. You're probably right, for what I can read. I suppose all we can do is guess. Surely people on TB have bought 2nds in the past. Any success or horror stories? I have found a couple using the search feature, but less than I woule have thought.

Just wanted to add that the seller writes: "Apart from the defect listed they are perfect, all the electronics, pickups, tuners, neck and frets etc. are good." So I suppose that worst case scenario, I can sell it back here instead of sending it back, and cover what I have paid.

4. I've bought a few Ebay seconds that were clearly described as such. When I took them to my guitar tech, the worst he found was a few minor cosmetic blemishes that I would have missed.

MTFD24 likes this.
  5. Good to read that! Thank you!

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I bought a "factory refurbished", which is somewhere in the neighborhood of "factory seconds" or "B-stock", from a seller on eBay. He specializes in picking up instruments that, for some reason, the manufacturer won't stand behind with their warrantees. In my case, he and I were both baffled as to why they had a problem with that particular bass. No problem or issue could be found, and I've never had a single problem with it either. Oh well, their "loss" is my gain! :woot:

SPBS.jpg

MTFD24 likes this.
  7. I have bought a few factory 2nds, one was pretty bad. It was a squier classic vibe P in fiesta red and had the serial ground off with a sticker serial number in place. I have seen this before and I have seen some without this so idk why that is done. The truss rod had the nut rounded off so it was drilled and a a smaller nut with allen head was put in place so you could turn it. This was not disclosed and I was rather peeved to get it like that. I cant remember but believe I got some cash back and parted it out.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That looks like somebody sanded the back of the neck and then the raw wood got dirty. Modded return maybe?

9. I ran into this information on a website the other day. Makes sense to me that they do this for warranty reasons -

"During the restoration process the guitar is stamped “used” in small letters on the back of the headstock. At the same time, the original serial number is removed and replaced with a serial number assigned by the refurbisher. This is done to prevent warranty claims as these guitars are offered without warranty.

While these guitars do not have a manufacturers warranty, Indian Creek Guitars stands behind our products with a 45 day return policy."

Manufacturer Refurbished Items

10. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I've seen a couple of factory B's and the only problem with them was minor/very minor finish blems. One was supposedly by the neck pocket, but couldn't ever see it. And yes the serial #s were removed.

11. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    That's a sexy looking instrument! Big score :thumbsup:

Malak the Mad likes this.
  12. Malak the Mad

Bigger than one might think! ;) That particular model and color P-Bass Special was the first bass I ever wanted to own. When I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at bass, I soon discovered they'd been discontinued a few years previous. It took me six months to find "My Sexy Beast"! So, even though it wasn't my "First-Ever", it still remains my "Spirit Bass" and FretJoe will forevermore be my hero for facilitating the end to my quest. :cool: :thumbsup:

catcauphonic likes this.
  13. This is a great story! Thanks a lot for sharing.

In the end, I won't be buying a bass soon because I received excellent news on Friday: my custom LeCompte will be fixed for $150. At some point, I was afraid it was gonna cost over a thousand, and that's why I started looking for a factory 2nd on eBay. But this thread has convinced me to try one the day I'll need a new bass.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  14. Malak the Mad

Merci buckets! ;)

I'm glad to hear your repairs are a fraction of what you expected. I always feel that way when I'm expecting a huge car-repair bill :nailbiting: and it turns out to be something minor. :thumbsup:

While I may have had decent-to-good results with a refurbished bass, it's always good to be ready for something "not-so good". So, if you ever grab one, be sure to check it out top-to-bottom and quite thoroughly.

15. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That seller is totally legit! I've probably purchased 50 basses from him through the years, all Ibby's, and only one could a see a finish mark. You're good to go with them.

Saorex likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021