1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

factory prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by societysfinest, Aug 1, 2003.

1. I was told today that most factory prices on guitars/basses are about 60% less then what a department music store would sell them for. Is this for the most part true?

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think its the other way around... Most music stores will sell new gear at about 70% of the MSRP.

3. no no when i said factory i didnt mean suggested retail, i meant literally Factory prices.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm, I don't know. Well, I guess the music store has to make a profit.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Retailers buy from the factory at about 50% of list. You can't get those prices from the factory (unless you buy Carvin, but that's a different story). Stores like GC put their stuff on the floor at about 70% of list, as Nick said. You can usually get them down to 60% or 65% of list.

6. Fleckbass211

Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    That's how you get employee discounts. My brother gets all of his gear 5% over the real factory price, which ends up being a little less or more than half of the store's price.

7. yeah thats what i was tryin to clarify, about the dicount.thank you

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Example:
    Warwick sells a bass, which has a suggested price of say $3000, to CG for $1200. GC will then sell it to you for about $1900 - $2000.