Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

factory prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by societysfinest, Aug 1, 2003.

1. I was told today that most factory prices on guitars/basses are about 60% less then what a department music store would sell them for. Is this for the most part true?

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think its the other way around... Most music stores will sell new gear at about 70% of the MSRP.

3. no no when i said factory i didnt mean suggested retail, i meant literally Factory prices.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm, I don't know. Well, I guess the music store has to make a profit.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Retailers buy from the factory at about 50% of list. You can't get those prices from the factory (unless you buy Carvin, but that's a different story). Stores like GC put their stuff on the floor at about 70% of list, as Nick said. You can usually get them down to 60% or 65% of list.

6. Fleckbass211

Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    That's how you get employee discounts. My brother gets all of his gear 5% over the real factory price, which ends up being a little less or more than half of the store's price.

7. yeah thats what i was tryin to clarify, about the dicount.thank you

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Example:
    Warwick sells a bass, which has a suggested price of say $3000, to CG for $1200. GC will then sell it to you for about $1900 - $2000.