1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Factory Seconds Cremona Double Bass

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by DoubleDon, Dec 15, 1999.

1. DoubleDon

DoubleDon

Dec 15, 1999
    These bases were listed for $800 if brandnew...unbelievable discounts will be given if you are interested. Email me at dondon2@home.com for more information

don

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Get 'em while they're hot!

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ahhh, Cremona.....the ROGUE of the Doublebass. If anybody has any questions about the quality of Cremona basses, feel free to email me.

Off to Classified.

5. Are you saying the buyer should also stock up on hide glue?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Among other things...

7. And you thought the factory first were bad.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    C'mon guys, "unbelievable discounts"! Let's go stock up on them! Aren't you all excited? I'm going to get three of them.

Where's that guy's damn email again?!

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oxymoron.

You know, Jumbo Shrimp, Military Intelligence, et al.

10. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's threads like this that I'm glad I'm on you guys'
    good side.

-dh

11. Housewreck:
    You're right. I've been thinking how blithely we've been trashing all that alot of people can afford. That's the damnable part of DB; it's an expensive instrument to start. So, striking the middle ground between being realistic and sympathetic, maybe there should be another thread over on Basses where those who know about these things (I don't) can give the facts of life.

12. On the otherside of the forest. . . I bought a DB from Double Don here about 6 months ago. I got it for a pretty good price because he was selling a bunch at the same time on EBay.
    The DB was probally as playable as I would guess a bass of this price would be. It isn't the best but it brought me over to the darkside, a place I will be staying for the rest of my life. I will upgrade once I have some cash but it was this Rouge of a bass that pulled me in without draining the bank.

13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'm holding out for the DURRLLL Signature Model with the flourescent green trim.

14. JUSTONEOFTHEDURRLLS

I'm already trying to teach my cat to play the bass.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

SNAKECHARMERDUDE,

Suggestion: cover the back of your bass during his lessons. Don't ask me how I know this. It's just intuition.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Good point, as GRUFF has illustrated. Before the omnipotent overlords of DB informed me of what's what with the bass fiddle, I was as naive as an alter boy myself. I remember walking into the Haight-Ashbury music store, seeing a bass, (not knowing it was in fact the infamous Cremona), and just being overjoyed to play a real bass. Crappy real bass or not, it was a real bass. Think back to the first time you touched a real bass, after having played the canoe. It really is a great thing.

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Gruffy,

What kind of setup work did you have done to it? I have a student who has a Palatino (the OTHER white meat) and has been frustrated as hell with it. I don't know what the fingerboard is made of, but it's a relatively soft, light-colored wood (under the black dye, of course). What's your fingerboard made of, and how did it handle the dressing (if indeed you had it dressed)?

Also, in defense of all of the "meanies" on the board: anybody whose first and only post is a spam ad for factory second Cremona basses is asking for worse than DONDONCREMORLEONE got. Nothing against first basses that are less than beautiful (see my DURRL signature model with the florescent green trim...), but posting that cold in the wrong forum with no introduction is akin to finding a BBS for car lovers and dropping in a first post advertising "factory second" Yugos. I mean, C'mon....

For the record, I say that ANY bass that gets you over to the the dark side is a good thing. I also believe that people should know what they're paying for. Gruffy knew when he bought his bass that it would be exactly what it is - a starter bass that would allow hime to try out DB before making a big investment. On the other hand, not everybody is as mature as Gruffy. Cremonas and Palatinos have EARNED their reputation. That doesn't make them evil, it just means don't expect miracles...

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Which begs the question: What does make them evil? Elfin ghosts?

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Frets.

20. DURRLL
    Agree re joining TB just to make a sales pitch for stuff of questionable value. But I do feel for the starter who may love the instrument but doesn't have the $. And these are the ones who can least afford an $800+ mistake

21. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Touche'