Fafner [Redux]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I've don searches, and i've found some helpful info on the Fafner. but, I'm still no so sure on a couple of points.

1) Does the preamp section differ from the Fafner to the HD350?

2)the fafner is 3 rackspaces correct?

3)Should I buy a refurbished one? I've seen one around, and I'm starin at it hard due to the price, but the "refurbished" tag by its name sort of scares me..I won't have a chance to play it, as i'll have it shipped to me. Also, if the preamp sections in the hd350 and fafner are different, can the fafner get decent rock "grind"?

I'm looking to use the fafner with two 2x12's, as the 4x10 I have is just mega unwieldy and doesn't fit in a compact sedan.

Thanks for the help,
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    1 Yes. The Fafner has a tube, the 350 doesnt.

2 Yes

Rest of the answers to all your questions are in the reviews on www.ebs.bass.se
    Read them!;)
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My opinion is that if you can save money on a refurbished one, it might be worth your while. One thing I'd consider is that if it comes with a full factory warranty, that's a major bonus. Consider who's selling it. If it's from r2musical, I've got nothing but good to say about them, so I'd give my thumbs up.

As far as the grind goes, the HD350 I played had a very similar tone to my Fafner. I've got an older Fafner (2nd generation, one right before the TD version), and the grind isn't bad. I understand the TD version can get quite nasty, if you want it to. If you get an older one, you can beef up the grit by changing preamp tubes.

The Fafner IS 3 rack spaces, whereas the HD350 is 2.

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    R2musical is selling this refurbished Fafner on Ebay, without any mention in the ad that it is refurbished at all. Sounds kind of fishy to me.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Do you think he should have disclosed this on ebay?

Buyers do have the right to contact the seller and ask questions. To me, if a potential buyer doesn't ask any questions, he/she should get whatever he/she has coming to him/her.

The TD model, btw, is the most recent generation of Fafner. From what I've heard, it's got a beefier midrange and drive control than mine has.

The mids are already incredibly powerful on mine, so any more control will just give you way too much, LOL! Actually, it's a very easy to use deal, so you won't get caught in the tone-zone. You'll love the drive section!:D
  6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I asked, and they replied (IN ALL CAPS) that this one head is refurbished, but actually not the same on as the one on their site (strange that they would loudly proclaim that THIS IS THE LAST ONE on their ebay ad... like it's the last Fafner in the world.) Generally when you buy amps on ebay(which you assume are used) you don't even think to ask if they're refurbished... I guess it doesn't make much difference, you take your chances either way.