Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fafner vs. WT-800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Coming to the realization that I just can't afford a Walter Wood Ultra High Power. They just don't turn up on the used market and if they do they are pretty close to original cost. The only one I've ever played through sounded amazing and it was an experience that I'll never forget.

So coming to this conclusion, I've got a real bad case of GAS for a Fafner. I was real hot to sell or trade my WT-800 for one and ran across a Bassgear.com ad for a guy that was looking to sell a Fafner. I wrote him to find out why he was selling the Fafner. He said that he had sold his WT-800 to buy the Fafner and then found that the amp did not cut through like the Eden. I was a bit surprised by this but he said that he was going to get a WT-550. I never did get back to him to see if he ever got his WT-550 and to see if it turned out better than the Fafner.

Oh, and I am going to keep the WT-800. I do really like the amp, alot. It does gripe me that it can't be bridged into 4 ohms, though.

Well I'm going to sell some stuff to finance the Fafner. So I just wanted to see if anyone has had more than casual experience with the two amps.

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if i were buying ebs id go with the td650. i didnt think the fafner sounded as good as a wt800, but i really liked the sound of the ebs hd350 and the new 650 is supposed to use the preamp section of the 350.

3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I too, really liked the tone of the HD350. I spent about an hour playing through one, with various speaker cabs, at Larry Morgan's, in Dallas. They just turned me loose in the back room. Now I was playing a brand new Vic Wooton Monarch, which was a STUPENDOUS bass(That's another story). It was insane just how fast I took to that bass. But the 350 sounded great, with just about any cab that I put it through, just the same.

My deal is that there just aren't any used HD650's to be found, as of yet. I don't think that the HD350 will have enough headroom, but as always I might be wrong. And I really, really liked the tone of the Fafner. It seemed to be perfect for my type of music, sound and my finger-style. And I've run across several used ones in the last few months at a price that seems reasonable.

Narud, what is it that you liked about the HD350 that you didn't like about the Fafner? Especially compared to the WT-800?

4. Funny--I sold a WT300 to get a Fafner. I think it really depends on the bass you're using; if you're using a Fender-style or super-hi-fi instrument that's not all that potent in the low midrange, the Fafner will disappoint you and the WT800 will be your bag.

However, if you've got a massive-sounding bass, something like a Roscoe or a Spector (or FBB #1046-01 ;) ), the Fafner will do very well for you. After all, in Europe EBS amps are mainly marketed to heavy metal players...

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the hd 350 had a sparkle in the highs that i like that i get from the 800. the fafner sounded good but it just didnt really grab me.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He didn't get the WT-550.

7. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Ask Munji how he knows.

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR

How'd you know?

This was about 8 months ago. I never did get back to him to see if the 550 ever showed up. But I notice the other day that he had an ad out to sell an SVT.

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Pete, do you find that your Fafner gets lost in the mix? (I need to look up that email that I got about that guys Fafner) Maybe not lost in the mix but maybe just not cutting enough.

I'm thinking that if just keep the WT-800 and get a used Fafner at a decent price then I can A/B them with my own stuff. I should be able to sell the Fafner close to what I bought it for. And if it fits the bill then that will give me another option.

I've just never gotten over that the WT-800 can't be bridged into 4 ohms. So the 600 watts into my Bag End D12-D should just rock the house.

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I don't play heavy metal. I'm thinking that the Fafner would sound great with the F Bass or the Sadowsky or even the MTD535. My old Fenders seem to sound the best through the Alembic F-1x into the PLX. Thanks for that bit of info.

Narud, thanks for your thoughts regarding the HD350 and the Fafner. I do tend to agree with you. I don't slap so maybe that's where the HD650/350 would excel.

11. Not really--I get plenty of cut with a pair of GS112s. The key is judicious use of the Drive control: 4-5 will get you quite a bit of grit.

12. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I can agree with that. I like to have some mid hump in my sound, it can be amp or cab. For hi-fi amp I will choose warm cab (eden in my case) and oposite: warm amp- hifi cab

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Funny...I've heard some people say that the HD350 is better for slap and not as good for finger style. I've also heard from others that Eden doesn't cut as well as the Fafner.

My Fafner cuts through beautifully.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I ordered the first production WT-550 through Gard. It never came before they shut the plant down. I suspect they'll show up some time next year, but it's too late for me.