Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fafners still available in the US?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Nov 17, 2002.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    anybody know if they are or not?
    anybody else besides sir smug play them?
    reliability issues or anything i should know about them?
    as always thanks in advance!

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hi there!

I know for a fact there are at least a few Fafners available in the US. There's a store in Chicago called Make'n Music that had one two weeks ago. They don't have a website, but their phone number is (312)455-1970 (I think). Another place you can check out is http://www.r2musical.com/specials/specials.php3

In terms of reliability issues, I know that their switches had a tendency to go bad on the older ones, but that's been remedied on the newer model, the Fafner TD 620.

To me, it's the best sounding amp, if you like to bridge the gap between hi-fi and grit. It's got both! It really allows your bass to sound like your bass (could be a bad thing if it isn't a good bass;)), and has a single 12AX7 tube placed BETWEEN the preamp and power amp, which you can dial in as little or as much tube warmth as you'd like.

Personally, I wouldn't choose any other amp. Everybody has their own opinions, though...;)

3. While i'm not sure how far you are from NYC, there is a store in the city, i don't remember the name, but it's on the same street as the Sam Ash in the city, it's like 3 or 4 floors, last time i was there, they actually had a Fafner, so you could try it out there and buy it too if you like it.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks guys!

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    [uhttp://www.r2musical.com/specials/specials.php3[/url]

In terms of reliability issues, I know that their switches had a tendency to go bad on the older ones, but that's been remedied on the newer model, the Fafner TD 620.

To me, it's the best sounding amp, if you like to bridge the gap between hi-fi and grit. It's got both! It really allows your bass to sound like your bass (could be a bad thing if it isn't a good bass;)), and has a single 12AX7 tube placed BETWEEN the preamp and power amp, which you can dial in as little or as much tube warmth as you'd like.

Personally, I wouldn't choose any other amp. Everybody has their own opinions, though...;) [/B][/QUOTE]

DITTO....:D

6. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    My Fafner was made in 1996 and is going strong, just the cooling fan is starting to become noisy, but replacing it is $20 and no hassle.

I know nothing on the market that I would want to replace it with :cool:

7. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    That would be Rudy's Music in NYC , not sure but I think he has a website

8. Thanks, you're right, that is Rudy's Music, I just couldn't remember the name I haven't been there in a while.

9. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    check with rawn randall from r2 musical.com,he may have a used one for you.
    he's also point man for EBS U.S. distributor.
    COOL CAT.