FAHH! Damn kids.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I lend my Ric to a friend of mine while I have someone look at his bass and try and install some new electronics in it. I get my ric back with a ton of belt buckle rash, a ding in the neck, and scratch in the back of the headstock. GAAAAAAH. It was flawless before. What should I do? I'm not sure if that can be repaired.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Suck it up whaffy ;) Sucks when other ppl damage your ****, but its hard to repair that stuff... :(
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Two words... BEAT DOWN ;)

That sucks man. I'd give the kid a bunch of crap about it, but I don't know what else you can do.
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    stomp his a** out! or demand compensation in the form of green paper with presidents on it.
  5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Get new friends!! Friendship sucks sometimes :)
  6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    There is no excuse they can give to justify that damage.
  7. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow, that sucks. Hopefully he feels guilty.
  8. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
  9. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    hard lesson, and it sucks. All you can do is...don't do it again.
  10. How long did they have it? :confused:
  11. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    ouch...on a Ric?? im sorry dude
  12. You deserve compensation, whether it be by repairs (difficult and costly) or cash-wise. There is no excuse for instrument damage like that, especially of a gorgeous and pricy Ric. Chew him out hardcore.
  13. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Rule #1 of bass playing...

NEVER LEND YOUR BASS TO ANYONE unless you're prepared to deal with the fact that it will come back to you in considerably worse shape than it was before it left. It is really unfortunate, but this happens ALL the time. You just can't rely on someone else to treat your things as well as you would, nor should you really expect to hold them to that standard. Even though the other person might not understand and even though you risk looking like some sort of overprotective freakazoid, you just can't take the chance unless you're ready to deal with the worst case scenario of what might happen.

:( :crying:
  14. I know what to do! :rollno:

Carve your name into his bass, hand it back to them and say "now we are even".
  15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Ouch. I'm sorry! I'm cringing!

Once you've cooled off (it'd take me a couple of days!), let him know you're upset and he owes you, but use it to your advantage at some later date (for a favor or whatever). Think The Godfather.

16. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Learned that lesson with my Mountain Bike a few years ago, lended my bass as backup once to another guy on a gig, he didnt used it, but I didnt stopped staring at it the whole time too. :ninja:
  17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey Jay, I was gonna' ask you about that F bass you have... ;) :bag:
  18. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For a fellow downstater....my basses are your basses! :D ;)
  19. cut off his hand?
  20. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Steal his bass, take a hard, thick pick, and DIG away at the thing until half the finish has been peeled off...

LOL no bass player should ever piss me off :eek: