1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Failed as a Father

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BeJay, Aug 18, 2012.

1. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The last 3 trips to the Guitar Store and he has forgotten all about the drums...

[​IMG]

:help:

2. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    he will come back around. What kid doesn't want to play the drums.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The type of kid that wants to grow up to be a musician! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

4. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    At least he is still interested in music!

Just cant get over the the 6 string... Hopefull one day he will realize that the thump and boom make the butts move. :hyper:

5. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    The more pressing issue here is why would you let him loose on a drum kit, when it has been shown that every time a drummer plays, their iq goes down a little.

On a serious note, nice Coronado II!! Can we have some more pics of that thing?

6. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I'd feel traumatized too. Stay strong.

7. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX

Sure. That was my dads working guitar. He played pretty much till the day he died.

8. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Don't worry you still have time! My dad started me on guitar and I fell into the low end ;)

9. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    He has been interested in the drums since about 18 months old.
    If I put him down at GC he would make a b-line to the drum department.
    Wore out 2 rock band drum pads for the WII. Figured I would get him a real 7 piece set for his birthday in Nov. No such luck - now its all Guitar this and Guitar that.

Some of it is got to be my fault, Ive been playing a lot of SVR and Lightnin' Hopkins lately. In some ways its great when you hear a 8 year old singing House is a Rockn. :cool:

10. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Nowhere else I rather be!

11. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Look on the good side, his guitar will be great to jam with, and you get to play bass with your son, awesome!!!!

12. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    There is that!

Side note: Should see mom run out of the room when I play Tush or Pearl Neckless... And yes he sings them.. :)

13. Why would you need help or why would you 'force' him to bass? When you are forcing your kid to play bass instead of guitar, you are failing as a father, IMHO.

So what the kid is enthousiastic about the guitar, if he likes it he should play the heck out of it! My dad forced me into soccer and other sports, hated everything about it...

Kids mostly lose enthousiasm and spirit when you're forcing them into hobbies/music... So don't be that kind of dad, for your sake and your kid's.

14. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Wow, someone missed the humor in this thread.

15. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    It could be much, much worse! At least he likes SRV and not Justin Beiber!!

If he likes one turntable that's great - if he wants two... look out!

:)

16. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    Wow , he's playing his late Grandpa's guitar? :crying: That is moving man! I'd love to hear a sample of him singing ZZ's tush that must be ROTFL !!

17. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I hear ya! I learned to play on that guitar as well.

I wish I could record him singing. Every time I break out the mics or the personal voice recorder, he clams up. That is new as well. There was a time he would just start belting out Long Neck Bottle or Fireman. Now he gets all shy.

I have to wonder if this is just the new stage in life because he has now decided all girls are icky except his mama. :eyebrow:

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    You're winning. As long as he has interest in music, you're doing well.

My older daughter (14) has never taken to an instrument, despite my not-so-subtle prodding. However, she is developing a very good singing voice.

My younger daughter (almost 8) loves to pound mercilessly on our cheap-@$$ drum kit, but playing a steady beat that I can play along with doesn't hold as much interest for her. She can play a few simple 4/4 or 8/8 patterns pretty well when she puts her mind to it.

19. Demonjrx

Demonjrx

May 30, 2012
    United States
    Ehh.. Drums are just churched up metronomes, I'm not even sure why this is an issue.

20. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    You need to play with some better drummers.