Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Failure - Fantastic Planet -- nice Wal bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by geshel, May 30, 2003.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I got Failure's Fantastic Planet a couple weeks ago, and I'm digging it. Pretty interesting songs, solid playing. I like the chords and textures they use. The guy's voice sounds oddly like Kurt Cobain sometimes - not that anyone would get them confused.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they used a Wal on most of the bass tracks and it sounds awesome. Mostly a pretty aggressive, overdriven sound very similar to Justin Chancellor's on the last two Tool albums.

I actually thought about picking this up because somebody mentioned that Justin heard the bass player from this band playing a Wal and liked the sound (I've heard that, and also that David Bottrill suggested it). Also they are somehow related to Quicksand? I think, who I like. Not the same sound as Quicksand though. A little more melodic in an odd sort of way.

2. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Thanks for the heads up -- I just checked them out and they sound pretty good. I'll have to pick up a copy.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    stuck on you kicks arse:bassist:

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I totally flipped over Failure a few years ago, unfortunately by the time I discovered them they were long gone...

They've got 3 albums, but FP seems to be the better of the trio. Just saw the titular animated movie a few days ago too...

From what I understand Ken Andrews and Greg Edwards did most of the writing and playing, and switched off instruments a lot.

I think Troy Van Leeuwen had some involvement with them, but I don't know of any Quicksand connections...

5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    The Wal that Greg used on the albums is the one Justin used on Aenima (and convinced him to get his own).

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Troy Van Leeuwen sure shows up everywhere!

Yeah, no common names between Failure and Quicksand. I wonder if some of each band came from the same previous band or something? Or maybe I'm totally smoking crack. Anyway.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
  8. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Fantastic Planet is one of the best albums no one has ever heard. Ken Andrews and Greg Edwards also had a side project called "Replicants" and they released one self titled album. I highly recommend it (you can probably find it in a discount bin, I paid 99 cents for mine). It is all cover songs and includes a Pink Floyd tune, Neil Young tune, a Cars Tune, a Steely Dan tune, etc. Good stuff!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Maynard from Tool guests on their cover of Wings' "Silly Love Songs", it's pretty funny.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I really like their "Silly Little Love Songs" -- I think it's great! IIRC the Replicants also included former Tool bassist Paul D'Amour.

I've got the first Failure album queued up on my Amazon (booo! hisss! we want CDNow back! ssss!! :) ) wish list.

10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Just did some searching and apparently Ken Andrews has a new band called "Year of the Rabbit". I listened to the free song at their website and it sounds alot like Failure. I may need to pick this one up. Check it out HERE

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I recently got all three Failure albums from Half.com - great stuff!

12. I just picked up Fantastic Planet after reading this thread. Pretty cool stuff!

13. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    ........ I'm not going to say anything,, I would probably end up getting kicked off this site ........

;)

14. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I met the failure section a few years ago. They were working on a TV show set in NYC for the metro -channel. Extra help kind of thing. Nice guys. My band was playing their show and they introduced themselves. Very cool.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow, two posts in a row that leave me scratching my head in confusion. :confused:

16. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    my post means exactly what it says. The drummer and bass player were working on a tv show set in NYC> Failure had broken up and I guess they needed work.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oh, the rhythm section. OK! :)