1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Failures to communicate

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Oct 22, 2009.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    A little bit funny, but pretty odd.

My originals band has been working on a song with a bossa nova feel, we've played it live so far twice. I had pointed out that I'm playing a stereotypical bass intro to "The Girl From Ipanema" over and over again. This week the lead singer wanted to do some completely different music for the lyrics, so at rehearsal she asked for a typical tango beat, so we did that. We then worked on another song. Then she says "Now play that girl from Ipanema song again". I start, and after a few measures the flute player asks me if I'm sure that's how it went before because it sounds different. I say I'm sure that's how it went, though we've done it in a few different keys. So I try a different key. Again, people are looking at me confused, like something is wrong, but I'm quite sure I'm playing the same simple bossa nova pattern I always have. After maybe three tries the lead singer finally says "No, don't play it like we've done it before, play it like we did earlier today". At that point it dawns on me. "So... you want me to play a tango and not a bossa?" "Yes!"

I guess to them it was still "that girl from Ipanema song", even though any trace of "The Girl From Ipanema" was gone. I thought they wanted to reuse that accompaniament for different lyrics.

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    When I first started playing, I made the mistake of confusing the word "upbeat" with "uptempo". We were playing a song too slowly, and I told the drummer that it should be more "upbeat". So he starts trying to accent the "up" beats (as opposed to the downbeat). I'm wondering why the song isn't getting any faster and the groove is sounding weirder and weirder...
    We did figure out the source of the confusion - me.
    :bag:

3. AK Rev

AK Rev

Apr 24, 2007
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I actually asked my drummer recently if he knew where 1 was.:rolleyes: