Faint hissing noise: avoidable?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Tbeers, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    When I connect my AI Clarus to my LDS 3-way 2x8, there is always a slight hissing noise while the amp is turned on. I never notice it once I am playing, but when I stop and listen, it is always there.

So, enlighten me, the amplifier newbie that I am. What could this hiss be and how can I get rid of it? I want sound so clean I could eat off of it, I want complete silence when I stop playing!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What do you set your treble at? Hissing is often a result of goosing the treble too high. It can also just be something that the amp will do regardless of where the treble's set. Some amps are noisier than others. But they all have a tiny bit of hiss just because they're electronic sound reproduction equipment, so you'll never get completely rid of it.
  3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Many cabs with tweeters have this issue. If your cab has a tweeter attentuator on the back you can back off of it and that usually corrects the problem.
  4. pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    I have similar problem with Crate acoustic amp (2x8, tweeter).
    It is very loud, I don't know why. Maybe the problem is in the environment (all electric stuff in the house??? :confused: :eek: :confused: )
    When I plug my small GK it's much better, almost completely silent. I don't know, what's going on...
  5. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I usually turn the tweeter down to zero because I like the DB sound better that way. And that does take some of the "edge" off the hiss. But it is still there, coming from the 5" driver and both of the 8" drivers. I am going to try getting a new speakon cable, my current one came with my AI Contra and seems to be a piece of junk... it's all bent and dusty.
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Every amp has some residual hiss that enters the system after the final gain control, so you can't do anything about it. It can vary by as much as 15 dB from one amp design to another among mainstream products. Also, it depends on how sensitive your speakers are at high frequency.