Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

faint rattle..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jun 12, 2002.

1. i have a faint rattle when i play the bstring and the b string only.... ive checked everything... tuner nuts etc... they all seem fine.. ive even held em down and check it...... but nope.. still there....

anythelp

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    One thing I have seen that seems to be more commom with the B string is saddle rattle. (I kinda like that!)

Because the string is fairly low tension and the diameter makes it hard to get the action really low, somes you see basses where the B string saddle has been lowed so much that there isn't enough break angle over the saddle, and thus not enough downforce on the saddle. This allows it to rattle on the bridge plate. This is especially common if the saddle is well forward, which is often the case with a B string.

Maybe not it, but it is one of those things that is a little harder to detect if you have never seen it.

Chas

3. seems to be comming fromt he headstock.............
    other than that i dont know. it looks like the nut is a tight fit....

4. can the truss rod loosen itself??? if not then that possiblity is out...

5. Do you have a sufficient amount of string wrapped around the tuning post to create enough downward tension on the nut? Insufficient downward tension over the nut will cause the string to rattle at the nut when plucked forcefully. Usually this happens on basses with 4/5 inline tuners where the heavier strings have no retainer.

Try this: play the open B string hard enough to get the rattle. Continue to play the open string but now take your free hand and use your index finger to apply a slight amount of downward pressure on the B string behind the nut. Does the rattle go away? If yes you need to have more string around the post or install a string retainer.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

If you needed only a slight amount of tension on it to gain the proper relief, yes, it can vibrate loose.

7. or perhaps the string is buzzing agaist the 1st fret or something, mabe... my acoustic does that..

8. zoomboy: i checked that first thing....... doesnt help. Lex: its not fret buzz against the first fret... its way above that.

the only thing i havent checked is the truss nut... i will check that soon as i need to take the strings off.

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    bassist4ever

A cardboard tube, like paper towels come on, may help.

Hold one end of the tube against your ear. Keep the other end about 1/4" from the bass. Move the tube around till you pinpoint the buzz.

Just a crude stethoscope but it's pretty effective.

If you haven't already, you might want to change the B string just on GP. Heavy strings do wierd things.

Pkr2

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I'd say, from my limited experience, that a "faint" rattle would come from the truss rod. If you are lucky, it's the nut. If you are one of us ordinary people, it will be the rod itself. Meaning that the routing for the rod is slightly too wide, and the rod can move a bit. And the B-string is heavy enough to make this happen, while low enough to let you hear it....

11. I have a tuner that makes a wierd rattle, but only when I play open strings. the Key on the G string tuner is loose by like .02 mm, but it's enough to make a buzz. Can only hear it unplugged, so it only bothers me when using my tuner.

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I had a rattle coming from the middle of the neck many months ago (only on certain notes). I gave my truss rod just ever-so-slightly a turn and it went away. Just noticed it again last night. If it sticks around I'll tweak the truss again (I'm pretty sure my neck is just about right without any help from the truss rod - it's bubinga and wenge. . .)

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    With the bass unplugged, press your ear directly to the back of the neck. Pluck the open "b". If there is a problemin the rod, you'll find it. If its close to the truss nut, try tightening it. If its the middle of the neck, I often told people that they're insturment is scr**ed. Sorry, I dont know how to fix it, just troubleshoot.

14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    This happend to my bass not to long ago from an unproper set-up. Check the string sattles to see if they are to low. That was the case with mine. The sattle was just low enough that when the string was hit the saddle would vibrate against the rest of the bridge. Check it out. That may be your problem.

15. i cant find the friggin rattle. checked the Truss rod nut.. tight as a nuns nickers.
    tightened all the tuner bolts screws etc. move the intonation screw spring around.. not it.. the saddle is off the bridgeplate so that cant be it. but i held it down anyway....

i really dont want to move the truss rod nut... every time i move it the thing "pops" as i bring it up to pitch. i dont know what that means... and my neck seems fine...

but this buzz JUST showed up a week or so ago...

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Trying holding the strings against the saddles and playing it that way. Thats how I found out what the rattle was.

17. i tried geshel's truss rod adjustment worked.... the nut on the truss rod nut woulnt move at first but with a gentle extra "umph" (probably no less than 1/4 pound of pressure) it moved then stopped....

all fine now!!!

thanks ya'll!!

18. figured out why my B string sounds THIN as TIN.. the resonant frequency of the truss rod nut on my bass has gotta be 31hz cuz when its rattling it just SOAKS up the b string making it sound dead! i had the nut adjusted but then it went out again.. i did a re-setup and going to see if it keeps. if not then im emailing washburn