1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fair Asking Price?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by HugheJapackage, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Okay so this pizza place around where I live is starting to incorporate live music into their restraunt and asked if we can come out on Saturdays and what not to play for them. We've never really done anything like this so I was wondering what a fair asking price is for a Saturday night. we'll probably be playing a 2 hour set.

2. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Ask what he's willing to pay and add $50 to that.

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    You've never played a gig before? How much do you think you're worth? My guess would be "not too much". I think if you got two or three large pizzas and soft drinks for the band you'd be about right. Don't expect to make money the first time out. Be sure you publicize and pack the house with PAYING customers (he's tryin' to sell pizza!). If he wants you back, renegotiate.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What's the size of the pizza joint?

Band size? Established gigging band or start-up? Any following?

Type of music?

You don't want to play for free but, OTOH, don't price yourself out of contention. If this is real pizza place, you'd better learn some Italian. Here's a helpful sample phrase: "hey....whatsa matta you?

Riis

5. its not my first gig. My band is pretty well established and we have a pretty decent following(attendence is generally between 50-75). We just dont know how to negotiate with these guys because theyve never had live music and weve always played venues.

We play powerpop so its appropriate for a family setting and the place is rather large.

They offered to pay we just need to know what general range to ask.

6. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Charge the same as you charge the venues you play. Why would it be any different?

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm not sure what powerpop is but it sounds dangerous!

If its a 2 hour gig and you can pack the place with your cash-spending, pizza-eating, beer-swilling enthusiasts, I'd ask for ~$200-250.

Riis

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    $100 per band member minimum...

9. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    How long are the sets going to be? Since you said you are powerpop, are you going to be playing for hours on end?

If all he wants is a 30-minute set, ask for $100 plus food for all of the members. Then, if you start making him money renegotiate so that you get a cut of the pizza that is sold while you are playing.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I see. Then ask for what you usually get. He'll either go for it or not. Then the negotiation begins.

11. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    10% of pizza sales during the gig

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That's probably more than the restaurant's profit margin.