Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fair price for 1994/5 japan jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Mar 4, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's a quick one
    a local pawn has a fender jazz (japan serial # s000836)
    as far as i can figure its a 1994 or 1995
    its one of the cheesy "foto-finish" models but doesn't play so bad - has a few dings
    they have it up for 349 which i think is crazy
    anyone have a clue what those go for now???
    no biggie just always in the market for a backup bass or 2
    thanks
    ivan

2. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ka-bump

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Doesn't sound bad to me.

4. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    whats a photo finish?

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a foto finish is when they take a plain peice of maple and "burn" a simulacrum of flamed woodgrain on it
    cheese-o

6. Well I have a 93/94 MIJ P-Bass (Fender/Squier) that I paid £215 for...that is equivilant to $392. But I guess the UK is sometimes more expensive than other countries, so I figure that $350 isnt *that* bad, maybe try and get him down to $300 or so.

7. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
  8. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    i have a 93 made in korea p special w/switchable pre
    paid $325, and love it

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    $349 doesn't seem bad. For some reason, these have been going up in price pretty quickly for the past year or so, and sometimes selling in the $500+ range for nice ones. It's probably nicer than a used MIM for the same money, but some of them have had problems with the tops peeling, so look carefully for any finish cracks on the top.

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ya hit the nail on the head there
    the body hasnt got any peeling off of the top (its actually quite thick)
    the headstock has a strip of the matching veneer that has come off - right where you might see a serial # (wow, imagine that in a pawn shop)
    but fwiw, the serial # was on the plate on the back of the neck
    still im gonna drag my lil demeter/eden/aguilar rig in to hear it
    the guy was like "you dont need to bring your amp in to hear it - we have a marshall, those are the best amps ever right??"
    it was a groovy solid state 210 guitar amp - gotta love pawn shop sleaze who act like they know everything
    btw, to illustrate above point, they also are selling a very recent stingray (i.e., with pop up battery compartment) for no less than 1000 firm, you can get a new one here for 1200 tops. - they told me if no one buys it they will ebay it for 1400 :confused:

11. ThunderBoomer

ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    Never pay what the pawn shop wants.

Offer him $250. Wave the cash under his nose and see what happens. Point out all the stuff that's wrong with the bass. If you don't want it too badly, let it sit there a couple of weeks, then try again, noting that the bass is still sitting there.

12. Sorry Ivan, in the interest of clarity, I've got to point out that the photoflame finishes are essentially decals that are applied under the clear finish. These were created by an artist and produced in shapes for application.

I bought a 1996 MIJ fretless from a pawnshop - listed at $399 but got it for $299. I can just about guarantee that you can get it lower from your pawn guy.

13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thank you very much for the clarity - i never mind being corrected with politeness
    i'll have to go play it amped
    thanks to all who replied - it definitely helped
    i do wonder if there is an online listing of approximate values of fenders (basses) by type
    all i know is i'm not shelling out 6000 any time soon for a 60's jazz - i'd rather stick pins in my eyes :p

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    FWIW
    i picked up the bass in question for 250 today - seems like a player
    i'm gonna have my tech pals check it out - the guy actually gave me a recipt and is willing to take it back in a few days if there are any problems
    how cool is that?
    :D

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    PICS!! :) Congrats!!!

16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh well
    fyi
    just had my pal mike at milford music (great place and great guy - if you live in ct go there) check the bass out
    what looked like it might be a crack in the foto veneer on the back of the neck is more likely the begining of an actual problem with the neck itself
    so the neck is essentially a time bomb
    so i'll bring it back tomorrow
    too bad, i really liked the way it played
    thanks to all who replied - fenders are just plain confusing :rolleyes: