Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fair price for a EA VL-210 and an Epifani question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Does anyone know what a decent price is for the older Euphonic Audio VL-210 cab is? Any comments on the cab?

I'm possibly looking into trading a Bag End D10 cab for the EA cab. I've got 2 of the Bag End 210 cabs and I mostly use either my 212 Bag End or the Bag End 210 cab with the single 15.

When I bought one of the Bag D10's I had compared it to a VL-208. I found that the EA was a bit too pristine sounding where as the Bag End was more along the lines of the old school type tone.

Also, where would the VL-210 tone be in comparison to a Epifani 210 cab? I never really cared for the Epi tone until I heard a band where the bass player was using the 210. I was blown away by just how great it sounded.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I recently got a VL210 at a great price....very nice cabinet! I think the VL210 might have a flatter response than your Epifani........it has plenty of bass though:)

3. I was in the exact same situation about a year ago. I was absolutely set on getting the EA 210...until I heard the Epifani. The Epi is clear and sweet but it also has a ton of throw for a 210.

I went with the Epifani because it was cheaper, lighter, and sounded great for the styles I play. Even used they're less expensive. I would love to get an Epi 2x12 as well. :D

4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm gonna give you a hard time here cause I don't know scwat about the Epi 210. If you put an EA 208 and 210 together, it's got everything. For me unfortunately, the 210 is in the grey area of schlepping that makes it impossible to get into and outta my house without breaking my back or gettin' a hernia.

The one answer was absolutely correct. The EA 210 is much fuller sounding especially in the low end than the 208. One EA 208 is not nearly enough for any volume situation I play in. Only when we have to play EXTREMELY quiet, like nursing home quiet, can it be enough. BUT 2 208's, my base rig, IS pulentee of volume and bottom end in MOST situations, even outdoors. I added an Aguilar GS112 to the mix, but now also am thinking about looking for a used EA 210 in spite of the weight. The combo of one 208 and a 210 is perfectly flat clear and clean sound. I don't know if that's what everyone likes. If it was, then most SWR and Eden owners wouldn't be very happy. My problem is that the Ag and the EA's work great together but don't work that well alone. The ag just doesn't have the cleanliness of the EA's but the EA's don't have the fatness of the Ag. The 210 EA has both but weighs a freakin' ton comparitively speaking and I'd still likely want to take 2 cabs to most gigs even though the 210 alone would work fine in a lot of the places I'm playing now.

I'm not found of most of the other 210 cabs, other than the SWR Goliath jr's, especially for what they're asking for 'em. I heard the Wayne Jones cabs were killin' but keeeecrist they're expensive!!

By the way, I finally sold the Sadowsky today!!! Hurray!!! So starting next week I gotta a hole burning in my pocket awaiting another GAS explosion!! Hopefully I can find me a nice cab and another F bass up the road.

LKaye

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    My small rig cabs now are a EAVL210 with a Bergantino HT1/12.......they sound great together.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    In response to the original post, about 2 or 3 months ago, Bob (All Hail) Gollihur sold his two VL 210's for $575 each, and they moved pretty quick. I have no experience with the VL 210's myself, but I've used a CXL112 together with a VL208, and they sound wonderful together.

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for all the replies.

It seems that the VL 210 is gone. I wish that I could have gotten a chance to audition the cab, anyway.

I just don't see myself hauling two Bag End D10X-D cabs up and down 3 or 4 flights of stairs like I did several months ago. So one of the Bag End 210's is up for trade.

I was up at Bass NorthWest yesterday. I should of taken one of the cabs at that time rather than dragging some basses to see if I could nail that Zon fretless, which was already gone. I might have jumped on that Bergantino single 12.

I just haven't found any 2x10 cabs that I've really liked other than the Bag Ends or the Epifani. Oh wait, I did really like the EBS 2x10 but the price was too high for my pitiful bank account. Oh and the Wayne Jones is way too far out of sensible reach.