Fair price for a G&L L-2500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joey_g_funk, May 9, 2002.

1. I found a used L-2500 at a music store, and I think it's an older one, because it's just one solid piece of wood, not a separate top, like the current ones.
    It's in very good condition, very minimal dings, pots are a little scratchy, all original, pole pieces are a little rusty. The bass is on consignment, and they're asking $975 US. I'm sure I could negociate. What is a fair price?

BTW, sounded great. It was the first time I played/heard one.

Also, I'd like to trade my 1989-ish Peavey TL-5 with added-on EMG 35P's. Very good condition. How much do you think a fair trade price would be?

BTW, what is the best way to find prices on used instruments? Is there like a blue book or something?

2. Anybody? A price range?

Is this too vague a question?
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I pad $849.99 for a brand new one 2 years ago from Buffalo Bros. Guitars in Carlsbad, CA. buffalobrosguitars.com
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Pricing a bass is a very subjective thing. Shops of course are going to be higher than private party. I personally wouldn't pay more than $650 for a mint used L2500. Other people might pay more. Depends on how bad you want a bass. If a bass has scratchy pots, rusty poles, and a few minor dings, I would go maybe $500. Most music stores and pawn shops have blue books. Be aware that you will get pennies on the dollar on your trade-in. That's how the music stores stay in business. Buy wholesale, sell retail. If you are patient, you can get a feel for the value of used basses by watching ebay, and the classified sites like bassgear.com and harmonycentral.com. Be aware that some of these so-called private sellers are really music stores in disguise, thus inflating prices a bit. Places like this site, and www.thedudepit.com have some pretty honest sellers that won't jack you around. There is a G&L forum at the dudepit, where you can get a lot of insight and deals on L model basses. Good luck on your hunt, and if you really like the bass you described, and they will deal with you, give us a report.
  5. $850 brand new? WOW - Good deal!! Sam Ash has them priced new at about $1500.
  6. Thanks, Snyderz. That's really helpful.. I'm kind of new at this stuff. I've been playing for a while, but never really had a chance to talk with other bass players.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That's ridiculous, IMO. Call Bob at Buffalo Bros. They're the largest G&L dealer in Southern California and they get the instruments straight from the factory. In fact they drive up there and pick them up personally part of the time. You can get contact info. on their website.
  8. Bass Northwest in Seattle (bassnw.com) has three of the Sunburst/maple ones left at $899 new. Go to their website and click "G&L special sale basses"
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think $975 is WAY too much & $650 is a super low ball proice. These are USA made, Active basses that list from $1700+ depending on options you want. They normally sell for about $1100-$1200 new. If it plays good & you like it alot, I think that $800 would be a fair price but....
    The store dosen't own the bass, they're selling it for a private seller that might not move on the price.

Good Luck.
  10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    $700-800 is the typical range. They are a little more popular these days and thus a little higher priced than they were a couple of years ago.

If I am not mistaken, G&L has also significantly increased the list in the last couple of years.

If it is in good shape, anything below 8 ought to let you sleep at night.

I sold my mint L2500 for $750.

11. I agree with the price of about $800.00 on a used G&L L2500 and about $1,000.00 for the new ones with an OHSC. I just paid about $1,000.00 for a used one in trades so it ultimately depends upon how much they will quench my thirst as to the price that I am willing to pay.