Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fairfax Music Festival #2: Watching Fusion Royalty.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Playing music is a great thing, especially when the audience overtly appreciates it. A lot of people came up to us afterward to tell us how great our set was.

One of the acts that followed us was a reggae band called Carlton and the shoes, with whom I had shared the stage for fifteen minutes or so last year. If I knew how bigh this guy was, I'd have worked harder on the music. His bassist had a fretless TWO STRING FRETLESS BASS shaped like a machine gun. The most interesting feature were the pickups, an EMG ) P-bass humbucker, half of it at the neck, the other half at the bridge, as if it were half a Jazz Bass. Brilliant.

With all the adulation from the Z.M. gig and the knowledge that I had shared the stage with another festival star made me feel preety darn good, but the Vital Information set knocked me down to size soon enough.

Steve Smith, Frank Gambale, Tom Coster and Baron Browne sure had chops to burn, but, and forgive me for saying this, I felt this "look how bad I am" attitude coming from the band. Their chops were through the roof, though.