Fairfax World Music Festival #3: Enter Janek Gwizdala

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blackbird, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    This is the last of three threads about the World Music Festival that's taking place in Fairfax this weekend. The other two threads are in "Miscellanous".

The last show I went to see was José Neto's who is the guitarist in Airto's band. I was looking forward to hearing his bass player, Gary Brown.

Well, Gary wasn't there. Instead, José had this guy who must be in his mid 20s called Janek Gwizdala. start working on remembering this name, because you are going to hear it again.

The effect of the TalkBass t-shirt on bassists would make an interesting study. When Janek saw my shirt, he proceeded to play every lick in the book. I'd have been amused if this guy weren't amazing. He was playing a Wal 5 and I have never heard anyone play 16th notes so cleanly and with so much dexterity. I don't think I heard him play a single wrong note, and José's music is intense harmonically and rhythmically. This guy had the groove under his fingers all the time. I recall myself thinking that this guy is on the same level as Alain Caron, no joke.

Do yourself a favor and check this guy out. The entire José Neto band is amazing and Janek definitely belongs on the list of the world's top 100 bassists. See this kid. You'll flip.

Here' Neto's website. You have to check him out.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Maybe it was the guy's name, maybe it was because the thread's part 3 and I'm long winded, but you guys have to keep an eye out for this guy.

Here's the mug:

And here's the website: