1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fairfield Accountant or Phat Phuk B?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by triviani, Feb 25, 2015.

1. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    Looking for a "tone enhancer", and these two look interesting, although a bit different.

I play a Jazz bass, and already have the low gain-dirt covered with the Distortron, so I want something to bring a bit of clarity overall, to make everything sound prettier.

I have tried a few compressors, and I don't feel comfortable playing them, but the Accountant doesn't look like a tradicional compressor. On the other side, the Phat Phuk receives a lot of praise as an always on pedal.

What to do? I have a limited budget, and can't try them in person here in Japan. No B3k+ please :)

2. The Accountant will add some more dirt, particularly at higher compression. But it's a fantastic pedal.

triviani likes this.
  3. Clarity and sound prettier, you say? IMO, that probably rules out some of the dirtier always on pedals, at least the ones that I use and like. I'm one of those guys who runs a Phat Phuk on all the time for tonal enhancement, but I'd say that it adds some nice gritty shine to my tone. I don't feel like I'd use words like prettier or clarity, but maybe that's just me.

For what you are looking for, I'd suggest my other always on pedal, the Diamond BCP-1 compressor. I'm not sure what makes you uncomfortable with playing compressors, but I assure you that you'll love the Diamond. It DEFINITELY makes everything sound prettier - bigger, fatter, better, ballsier. The Phat Phuk sharpens my tone, but the Diamond polishes it.

The Accountant is a nice dirty compressor. Not sure it'll do what you are looking for.

The Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal is a great always on, with lots of tonal shaping possibilities, that could help you out too.

triviani likes this.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed on the Diamond. Makes everything prettier. :)

blindrabbit and triviani like this.
  5. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    Thanks. I have a Tone Hammer, and it's actuallly the pedal I want to replace. Just too heavy and I don't use the DI.

I guess I should save a bit more for the Diamond, it's the third pedal in the list.

6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

In the last few months, I've started having an affair with the Accountant. I've always wanted to like compressors but never found one that was for me. And I've never had an always on pedal.

The Accountant was the one stone that killed those two birds. So easy to use and sounds so good.

While the pedal can add dirt, grit and hair to your tone, it doesn't have to. Even with the pad up one notch, good things happen to my tone.

That said, I wouldn't say it makes my tone prettier. I'd say it make it more handsome. :cool:

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021