Fairlane Bridge, Hambone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by callmeMrThumbs, Jan 11, 2006.

1. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Hey guys. Hambone, I remember seeing your thread about your latest (I think) Fairlane bass with your unique bridge idea. The other day I was putting together a materials/cost list for my bass project, and I realized I could save a lot of money by creating my own bridge/saddle system. I searched for the thread, but the pictures don't work anymore. Is there any way you could give me a few ideas or things to think about when designing a bass bridge (5-string). Thanks a bunch.

-Josh

2. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Here's a little image I came up with that kinda sorta gives a hint of my bridge idea. I was thinking I could cut into the body for sting slots...I'm terrible with words, so I'll let you have a look at the diagram. Please post for questions or tips. Thanks.

[​IMG]

-Josh

3. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I've been thinking about the same thing since I can't quite find a bridge that I want to go with my current project. The only thing I worry about is intonation. I'd hate to have the intonation at the bridge be the reason that I don't like the bass I build.

4. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    As a matter of fact, yes I am. I was thinking I could round a piece of ebony, and make some slots for those saddles. And yes, since they're only $2 a piece, I think I might buy them and plan around them. And intonation is definately a concern, but hopefully it'll work out. (if it doesn't, I can always throw a hipshot A in there).

-Josh

5. customshopparts used to offer their indi bridge system on ebay...I think customshopparts is defunct now, not sure...

but I picked up a 4-string system like the ABM monorails for $8 and used just the blocks sliding in channels cut in the body (like hambone's fairlane) it was easy to do and works great.

i looked everywhere for these bridges now and can't find them and they just want too much money for the ABM...IMHO its a bit of a ripoff.

6. that's them...I had two different sizes...one with slots for the D and G strings and one for slots for the E and A strings...

only mine came with the rails and I can't find the rails :( (not that I need them)