Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fairlane Bridge, Hambone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by callmeMrThumbs, Jan 11, 2006.

1. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Hey guys. Hambone, I remember seeing your thread about your latest (I think) Fairlane bass with your unique bridge idea. The other day I was putting together a materials/cost list for my bass project, and I realized I could save a lot of money by creating my own bridge/saddle system. I searched for the thread, but the pictures don't work anymore. Is there any way you could give me a few ideas or things to think about when designing a bass bridge (5-string). Thanks a bunch.

-Josh

2. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Here's a little image I came up with that kinda sorta gives a hint of my bridge idea. I was thinking I could cut into the body for sting slots...I'm terrible with words, so I'll let you have a look at the diagram. Please post for questions or tips. Thanks.

[​IMG]

-Josh

3. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I've been thinking about the same thing since I can't quite find a bridge that I want to go with my current project. The only thing I worry about is intonation. I'd hate to have the intonation at the bridge be the reason that I don't like the bass I build.

4. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    As a matter of fact, yes I am. I was thinking I could round a piece of ebony, and make some slots for those saddles. And yes, since they're only $2 a piece, I think I might buy them and plan around them. And intonation is definately a concern, but hopefully it'll work out. (if it doesn't, I can always throw a hipshot A in there).

-Josh

5. customshopparts used to offer their indi bridge system on ebay...I think customshopparts is defunct now, not sure...

but I picked up a 4-string system like the ABM monorails for $8 and used just the blocks sliding in channels cut in the body (like hambone's fairlane) it was easy to do and works great.

i looked everywhere for these bridges now and can't find them and they just want too much money for the ABM...IMHO its a bit of a ripoff.

6. that's them...I had two different sizes...one with slots for the D and G strings and one for slots for the E and A strings...

only mine came with the rails and I can't find the rails :( (not that I need them)