1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fairly new to modding electronics, question about pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basstones71, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Basstones71

Basstones71

Mar 6, 2008
    Hi -
    I've done a bit of electronics work in guitars before but I've never experimented with my own circuits or whatever, always just gone straight froma wiring diagram. I have a Stingray knockoff, a 5-string, that I bought from RondoMusic almost 2 years ago. It plays nicely and I like the feel (and I only paid like $170 for it). Obviously not my main axe, I don't use the 5 strings as much. Anyway - it's been acting a bit wonky - sometimes notes will just pop out WAY louder than the rest of the notes that I had been playing, with no change in my style or anything. The pickup height seems ok, I checked/replaced the battery, still had the same problems. Took it in and they told me the pre was probably bad. Rondo, who has fantastic customer support, sent me a new one free of charge. They actually sent me an entirely new body of a the same model bass - chopped it off and sent the back half with the electronics and such. The shop replaced the pre and it's still doing the same thing. I kind of want to just make the bass passive and eliminate the preamp, because i'm ok with that. Since I have two pickups now, how difficult would it be to rout the body for a second pickup in HH config, and wire the bass for V/T V/T? It doesn't seem like that would be terribly difficult, but I'm not entirely sure and don't want to just dive in and screw up a perfectly good bass. If it would be easy enough, I'd like to add a series/parallel switch as well to kind of mix it up tonally. Any input is more than welcome. Thanks!