Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fairly serious player, go for a head/cab setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ibanezplayer, Jun 8, 2003.

1. i'm looking to upgrade from a sub-par peavey combo amp (just used for practice). should i go ahead and buy a head and cab, or should i just upgrade to a good combo. i'm looking to do some gigs soon...so i'm looking towards the head and cab. the only problem is that i'm definitely restricted by price, most likely under 1000. any advice?

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Combo's work well, but Head/Cabs give more more flexibility with tone and such.

if you have up to 1000 bucks to spend, you should be able to get a decent rig.

I just recently spent a mere $850 on a decent setup.

I got an Avatar 4X10 for $390 total
    and I bought an Ampeg B2R (from TalkBass' very own Usul :D) for $425.

That's only one example. You may not even meed a 410 and could spend even less.

Talkbass classifieds, Ebay, Bass Central, Bass Northwest, and others are great resources for used gear. There are many used amps and cabs to be had for a good price.

Though Combo's aren't out of the price range either. Personally though I think getting a head/cab would be a better route if you plan on doing gigs. You'll have more to work with if you need to upgrade again in the future.

3. thanks a lot...that was really helpful, i think you convinced me. this is definitely the place i'm coming to for help from now on. an awesome reply in 45 minutes...sweet!

4. Definately go used, for a grand you could get a VERY good head/cab setup.

But there are disadvantages to the head/cab setup. Mainly, it's a lot less portable. Another trip to the car when setting up, more stuff to carry...Usually this isn't so bad at the start of a gig, but at 2:30 in the morning I'm ready to go home and three or four trips to the car blows. I've got lots of heads, and lots of cabs, but finally, after years of toting gear, I picked up a good loud combo that I can carry to small-to-medium gigs. One trip from car to stage.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Ibanezplayer, I don't know where you live but if you have a sam ash near you check them out. They are selling the peavey bam 210 combo for 799.00 brand new.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    On the portability side, put aside some of your budget to get a small handcart and you'll make your life a lot easier, whether you go for combo or head / cab.

On the main question, I'd lean towards head / cab if you can afford it - not least because you almost certainly will want to upgrade after a while and that will give you the option of just replacing one component instead of the whole lot.

Also, you get the option of taking a smaller set up to smaller gigs and adding a second cabinet when you need more power.

Wulf

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I bought a used but mint EBS 2x12 for $425 shipped, a Carvin 600 power amp for $339 shipped and a Sans Amp RBI pre for $200 shipped. That totals to $964 and I dig it all.

8. i would get a avatar 2x10 and the new GK 1001rb head its 500 some watts at 8 ohms and you can add another cab for bigger gigs and run 700 watts at 4 ohms. the 2x10 cab runs around 270 with shipping

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I second this opinion.

10. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    i agree w/ cobrasneverdie, the GK head is GREAT, some kind of 2x10 would be nice, like an ampeg, swr pro, you could get it for under 1000 im pretty sure, you probably have to get the head new, im sure you could find an ampeg, swr 2x10 here or on ebay.